Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

(2) Post | LinkedIn

Photonic Memory? Yes, I was proven wrong. When my PhD students, Zefeng Xu and Chun-Kuei Chen came to me a year ago about an idea to integrate Ferroelectrics and Lithium Niobate for electro-optic modulation, I was quite skeptical. I questioned whether the poor dielectric constant matching between Hafium Zirconate (HZO) and Lithium Niobate would ever lead to any interesting ferroelectric-optic field effect. Moreover, processing Lithium Niobate was no cake walk, and adding HZO would be adding a taller order for the two students looking to graduate soon. Well, what do I know…They did it! Working with my expert photonics colleague Aaron Danner and the Canadian-based Photonic chip company POET Technologies through the SHINE@NUS Center, they made the the first HZO-Lithium Niobate hybrid Photonic Memory device that allows the modulation of optical resonances by a non-volatile ferroelectric analog memory. Their paper, “First Demonstration of HZO-LNOI Integrated Ferroelectric Electro-Optic Modulator and Memory to Enable Reconfigurable Photonic Systems,” has been selected for this year’s prestigious IEEE International electron device meeting (IEDM) next month in San Francisco (https://www.ieee-iedm.org) (Dec 11, 1:30pm - 4:30pm Monday PST, Continental 7-9). I welcome folks attending the conference to drop in for a listen. The technology can potentially enable Non-volatile Analog Compute-In-Memory for Photonics as well as Reconfigurable photonic circuits and interposers. Well, I had never felt so excited about being proven wrong. Cheers to Zefeng and Hank!

(And see the comments on Linkedin by Poet and others)

out of netw

New Message
Please login to post a reply