Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7182619987369500672/

1d • Edited •

March Madness wasn’t limited to the college basketball world this year. A completely different industry — artificial intelligence — had its own version of competitive excitement in San Diego. The Optical Fiber Communications (OFC) Conference, held during the last week of March, was focused on the race to 1.6T (for “terabit”) data speeds, which will be enabled by 200G/Lane architecture that allows faster signal processing. The developers of #AI, as well as the large data center operators, need more speed to advance their product lines. So, there’s a tech revolution going on that has some similarities to the Internet surge of the 1990s.

Some of the biggest, most dynamic companies in the world were present, and a few underdogs, too. Among the Cinderella stories is Toronto-based POET Technologies, the company I have been working with for a few years as they make a push to become a notable player in the industry. POET has only 50 employees but still managed to arrive with products for 200G/Lane and the ability to reach 1.6T — which is so fast that it equates to the ability to send about 150 films per second!

I was amazed by the activity at the POET booth as many visitors came by to learn more. Several of them returned a second or third time. POET is unique because it uses photonics (or light) instead of electronics to move data, and does it in a way that is cheap, by industry standards, and scalable.

Will POET reach the high-tech equivalent of the Final Four? Like any contest that’s still being played out, that’s to be determined. But they’re a Canadian tech company that has its eye on being a global leader and there aren’t many of those in the country. In that sense, they’re one to root for. (Disclosure: I’m also an investor in the company.)

Interestingly, the 2024 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship game, between Purdue and Connecticut, will have relevance to POET. The company’s Chairman and CEO, Dr. Suresh Venkatesan, is an alumni of Purdue University, and POET’s roots as a tech company in the microchips industry are tied to UConn, where Canadian scientist Dr. Geoff Taylor worked on previous inventions for the company.

(A nice plus from the trip: I got to catch The Boss & E Street before the conference began!)

New Message
Please login to post a reply