Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Message: Cisco Becomes an Official Technology Partner of the National Football League

Perhaps some of the hotshot tech guys on this forum can help me out with my question here.  I know CISCO's name has come up numerous times on this forum as a possible partner for POET. But are they also potential competition, especially given their size and clout?  

On April 22, POET announced their 100G LR4 optical engine, with the Agoracom additional commentary and dialog with Suresh and Tom the next day.

But, from the following link -  https://blogs.cisco.com/sp/a-new-capability-of-single-lambda-100g-technology-10km-reach - Cisco features their 100G LR device which they claim supercedes the LR4 devices and the 2 are NOT compatible: "100G LR shares the benefits common to all of our Single-Lambda 100G optics, like manufacturability and interoperability with 400G optics. Be careful not to confuse it with another 10km optic that has been around for years, the 100G LR4. The names are deceptively similar (LR and LR4), but they’re quite different and don’t interoperate with each other at all."

(italics are mine for emphasis)

Can someone here please explain why I shouldn't be concerned about this apparent disconnect?

Thanks in advance!

MtnView

New Message
Please login to post a reply