Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Message: Does the present Tik Tok conundrum have any prognostic value for POET's JV connection?

Conundrum = "a confusing and difficult problem or question"

I am just curious if anyone else has a concern that the Sanan-POET JV might someday be the target of a negative press situation with questions raised about the possible interdigitation of the CCP with Sanan, questions similar to those being asked presently of Tik Tok?

I don't want to presuppose the answer to that question, but the grilling being taken currently by Tik Tok in the U.S. Congress on that very issue of CCP possible interdigitation suggests that a similar situation might be possible in some distant future for the Sanan-POET JV.

Just wondering if anyone else has a concern about this or, on the other hand, if they consider it a non issue now and for the future.  

Unless I am mistaken, certainly a real possibility, Sanan is not an SOE (State Owned Enterprise) in China, however the CCP has still made great strides in interdigitation of its own policies and goals with non-SOE companies in China.  The links below are just a few of the articles regarding this process in regards to both SOE and non-SOE Chinese companies:

The New Challenge of Communist Corporate Governance (csis.org)

"Things began to change a few years ago. In 2018, China’s regulators made establishment of Party cells a requirement for any company to be listed on domestic stock exchanges."

Chinese Communist Party Cells in Private Companies: Though Not Yet Universal, Increasingly Situated to Play Greater Roles in Corporate Governance | Sayari

See the example of Fujian Electronics and Information Group, a state-owned holding company (SOE) of electronic component makers, stepped in to rescue Holitech in 2018:

In Xi’s China, the Business of Business Is State-Controlled - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Then, of course and more currently, there is the recent brouhaha regarding Tik Tok where some of the concern is in regard to:

"China's 2017 National Intelligence Law states that “any organization" must assist or cooperate with state intelligence work while a separate 2014 Counter-Espionage Law says “relevant organizations ... may not refuse" to collect evidence for an investigation.

The party sometimes conveys orders using “window guidance,” or informal communication in private. It has used crackdowns to tighten control over technology companies and force them to align with its goals.

The Chinese government has also sought more direct control over companies by getting seats on boards of directors."

The above quotes are exerpts from an article about Tik Tok in the New Press Now published today:

Why does US see Chinese-owned TikTok as a security threat? | World News | newspressnow.com

You can skip the pregame activities in that article by scanning down to the portion titled:  WHAT CHINESE RULES WORRY WESTERN GOVERNMENTS?

You have, undoubtedly, been following one or more sources of information about the current concerns of the U.S. Congress regarding Tik Tok so this is just one of the many different accounts of that current dilemma.  

Hopefully, in the future for POET Technologies there will never be a day where the CEO of POET is summoned by the U.S. Congress or any other Western political legislature to defend our relationship with Sanan via the Sanan-POET JV.

Again, my apology to anyone who discounts the Sanan-POET JV as ever being anywhere near the focus that presently is being given to Tik Tok.  I genuinely hope that my interest in this possibility is misplaced to the extreme and that this never becomes a liability for POET.  As a POET investor any political focus on that JV by a legislative body in the West could have a detrimental effect on an already precarious stock price and that is not something I would want to see.

I expect many sincere negative comments about this post, but please explain why you see my concern as being misplaced.  Thank you!  I would love to have contrarian assurance on this subject.

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply