Welcome To The Questerre Energy HUB On AGORACOM

(Edit this message through the "fast facts" section)

Free

Frankly bottom line is that Quebec is sitting on $225B (according the the debt clock) and accumulating $22M per day of debt. Read this article, posted a few months back in November: (Read the comment too, you'll see most Canadians are upset).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec/quebec-choking-on-debt-health-care-costs-conference-board-study-says/article1805272/

Frankly this year Quebec will get $8.5B in equalization payments. I'm not directing this to the hard working Quebecers out there (like the ones on this board for ex). It just upsets me when we out west here are going forward with BC shale, Saskatewan was in a lot of trouble and now the Bakken has kicked them into gear, Alberta with the oilsands (much more problematic that shale mind you)...we assume the risks (because all industries have them, there is no such thing as zero risk)...and we are stuck spoon feeding a province that is sitting on tens of billions of dollars in gas.

If you have resources, it should be up to the fed government to say you either have to exploit them and join the rest of Canada, or we cut you off.

I paid over $6K a year here in Alberta for my tuition, and Quebec students still enjoy $2K or less in post secondary...and we're the ones sitting on some of the worlds largest reserves of energy...explain that to me.

It just grinds my gears lol - Peter Griffin

Quebec has been taking money from the government since I can remember and probably before my time, it's time that they start becoming self sufficient. This industry has been around for a decade or more, with very little problems in relation to the size and amount of drilling. Get over it already. You're not discovering a new energy source, stop acting like you're special. It's time every province in this country start pulling their weight and stop taking handouts.

These environmentalists talk about things that rarely if every happen like water contamination and say "oh think of our future children etc" (a classic line for them)...how about talking about something that is 100% going to happen like the fact that you're leaving the future population and those children with hundreds of billions of dollars in debt...that you can bank on for sure to happen.

From the feeling I get from a lot of my friends here and the comments on issues like Quebec debt, if there were another referendum today to seperate, I can see most saying yes this time around because we're the ones feeding the ones that don't want to help themselves. I understand provinces that don't have the luxery of natural resources, but if you have them it should be your responsibility to help your province, and directly help the country by not accepting payments.

For our friends on this board from Quebec, what are your thoughts to this issue. What do people say and think in regards to the dark path Quebec is headed on? I know you guys on here must care and frankly I know a few people out there that are really upset at being in such large debt and frankly sinking further and further in. There has to be something that has to give here. I mean $225B in debt, adding $9B every year is astonishing and an extrememly serious problem. Do most Quebecers care? Do they know the consequences? What do you think would happen if Canada and Quebec seperated today?...I think it would be an extremely ugly picture. Of course I would never want Quebec to seperate, my parents voted no the first time around...but with the way things are going now...I know many ppl would want to keep the billions of dollars in Alberta instead of giving them away with regards to the situation playing out. Most of my friends here have been reading on the issue of gas in Quebec and most are very upset because of all those above issues I discussed. I don't think most Albertains know just exactly how much we give away, but if you were to bring it up with them the vast majority wouldn't be to pleased with it.

I'd just love to get an idea from the people on our board residing there and there thoughts on being self sufficient and how most of the population thinks.

Thanks guys!...because frankly it's nice to get a take on it directly from those people, as opposed to trying to find it online which isn't always accurate to what is really being said there.

Rocco

New Message
Please login to post a reply