Welcome To The Questerre Energy HUB On AGORACOM

(Edit this message through the "fast facts" section)

Free

You know I never really read this in full, but what Mr. Bouchard is saying here in an interview on Feb 24, 2011 is pretty solid to what we have. Very bright man. He does say the industry didn't act right, but I think he might be referring to some other companies, because QEC did a heck of a job meeting with communities before they drilled etc...some companies like Canbrium didn't mention it to the surrounding community.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201102/24/01-4373720-gaz-de-schiste-lucien-bouchard-se-voit-comme-un-mediateur.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B4_manchettes_231_accueil_POS1

"I think the vast majority of the population is open and wants to understand, she wants to be reassured that there will be an enrichment class in there, it will be done in respect of the environment and communities, all we know that must be done in Quebec and has not been done. "

Given the state of general concern, is there no need to declare a moratorium?

"No. First, it emits a whiff of denial. And it drags on. And when to lift it, it gives rise to a terrible political debate.

"Hydraulic fracturing, it has existed since the '40s (but not for gas) and it resulted in only very few incidents. There is never a company with zero risk. It must mediate risk, it must be acceptable.

"Instead of a moratorium, it requires a period of probation. Industry must accept that the exploration phase takes place in an experimental rhythm. It is necessary to limit the corporate agenda, there is the least possible new wells in 2011. "

This probation will be used to verify the market potential is very real in terms of costs, given the specific geological formations. And secondly, to establish "best environmental practices".

"The industry people know they can no longer act as they did. But for a moratorium, we will continue to buy gas for 2 billion of Alberta while standing on a vast wealth. "If it recommends that the BAPE, then" our grandchildren will talk about it ".. .

That said, Lucien Bouchard wants to put things in perspective. In one field in Texas there are 18,000 wells. "This has been 11 last year in Quebec, 30 from 2008. We can perhaps make some more without Frustration? "

It is against a veto for mayors, making development unwieldy he said. Referendum? Even less. "I would not advocate a referendum in town! I'd still for yes, notice ... "

But we must find ways to compensate communities, "he concedes.

He said the industry, including his client is ready to disclose the name and quantity of chemicals used to split the rock. "We must be transparent."

New Message
Please login to post a reply