New Technology for the $5 Billion Dental Equipment Industry

LANTIS LASER CAN PRODUCE DENTAL IMAGES WITH 10 TIMES BETTER RESOLUTION THAN TRADITIONAL X-RAYS

Free

Part I: Re-calibrate

posted on Feb 10, 2009 10:04AM

I'm hiding in an undisclosed location with LLSR's management team dreaming up ways to keep a handful of members on this forum investing into LLSR.... give me a break...... Dan.... I mean shaffer.... I expected more maturity from you.

I am a meaningful investor and do research linked to LLSR (like Lightlabs, ADA, Axsun/Volcano, Meditec and read dental OCT papers). Have spoken and continue to speak to members of the LLSR team, Axsun team, Lightlabs and Meditec... and keep looking for areas of concern. Many of you find great pieces of information which helps all of us to build the puzzle together. I consider myself a helpful member to this forum and get good information from this site. Other than that, the facts speak for themselves and all I do is restate the printed facts with a little extra information when you press someone over the phone. If you are a concerned LLSR investor, you should be calling these people too instead of complaining.

The primary issues today are 10-20% technical (low technical risk) and 80-90% funding (high risk from a short term timing perspective). I'll expand in forthcoming follow-up posts over the next few days but lets re-calibrate and make sure we are all on similar pages.... please add to this post should I inadvertently leave out some key information:

ps: On the surface, I would be frustrated too.... seeing the launch schedule shift from the original August 2008 target date. In a few days, one of my post will peel back this onion to provide the key reasons behind these schedule changes so we, as a group, can determine if the decisions were reasonable or unreasonable.

pss: Also.... on a pending post, I will explain why LLSR waited until Amendment 9 to restate their schedule. In a previous post, I stated that the SEC was through interrogating LLSR.... they are.... Amendment 9 was the cumulation of these discussions.

Part I: Re-calibrate....As stated by many, the fundamental remain the same:

a). No Competition: All key competitor paths are blocked by exclusivity relationships with Lawrence Livermore (exclusive), Axsun/Volcano (exclusive), UF (exclusive..provides the hand probe) and Lightlab (non-exclusive.... but a contractual supplier providing the laser component).

b). Benefit to Dentistry: Documents and detects hard tissue dental issues significantly earlier than x-ray that can be reduced or reversed with existing non-evasive preventive treatment methods..... first and only diagnostic system that can detect soft tissue dental issues...... no harmful radiation (let's translate a little here.... now the dentist can use the OCT system multiple times for the same issue which translates to more revenue.... depending on the nature of the problem, some issues will use two OCT sessions and other issues will use three OCT sessions.... let me give a simple two treatment example..... 1st OCT visit detects enamel degradation on a tooth, a treatment is applied, 2nd OCT visit about 2 weeks later to review the outcome of the treatment.... is the enamel growing back?...etc).

Next, The ADA's stated goal is to identify issues in their earliest state and prevent with non-evasive techniques (let's translate....the ADA wants to treat at the earliest possible verifiable moment.... the treatment protocols are already available....... the dental insurance industry is a problem because they need tangible evidence..... OCT solves the problem since it can document & detect early). Everyone (including investors) are happy.... the ADA achieves their goal of preventive dentistry, the dentist generates more revenue with multiple OCT scans/year vs x-ray, the insurance industry gets their needed documentation and the patient avoids uncomfortable procedures.... and the dentist has more customer "hits" to promote cosmetic dentistry.

c). OCT as a diagnostic tool is already in volume production in the ophthalmology market (Zeiss Meditec), 6 years in production, and has already cleared FDA approval. A couple of things here.... 1st... the risk of moving a new diagnostic technology into the market is removed with 6 years of production by Miditec.... 2nd.... 6 years of OCT production and deployment with no field or health issues speaks volumes to the FDA..... 3rd.... Zeiss Meditec in a smaller market with a significantly larger price tag (originally priced a $65K per system) used by a smaller percentage of ophthalmology patients yet achieved twice the penetration rate that LLSR has stated in their revenue model....4th.... Meditec paved the way for insurance adoption....5th.... since Meditec uses the same supplier and laser from Lightlabs as LLSR, the FDA process is a 90 day formality with minimal to no risk.

d). Management Team: Don't discount a company's management team.... Stan Baron has over 25 years of dental business (not practice) experience and has started a number of up-start companies over his 40 years. Craig Gimbel is a whose-who in the dental industry and dental laser technologies & associations.... Linda Otis is the mother of dental OCT ... and Doug Hamilton is a great fit for developing the system... just read their bio(s) at the LLSR site.

e). Use other people saves money: LLSR has two paid employees in Doug Hamilton designing/building out the OCT system and his software programer located in St Pete/Tampa and a very small lab facility. To LLSR's benefit, they have taken advantage of using free 3rd party technical resources in Axsun and UF. Axsun wanted access to an OCT system for multiple reasons (optimize their OCT engine chip-set, gain access to the laser functions and how they directly interface with the engine....etc....in order to gain market share and technical expertise.... that lead to Volcano scooping them up). LLSR traded direct hands-on to an OCT system in Axsun's lab and in returned had a key supplier invest in their dental system via OCT engine upgrades, board layouts and technical experts at no cost to LLSR. Likewise, UF developed the hand wand. The last few months, LLSR has been using UF's technical resources to address production issues with the hand wand.

Until next post, I am

Enlightened

New Message
Please login to post a reply