...We Welcome You To The Resverlogix HUB withIn The AGORACOM COMMUNITY!

Free
Message: Resverlogix Clinical Candidate Apabetalone Featured as a Potential COVID-19 Treatment in Recent Publication

"Furthermore, Apabe.. is Known to Inhibit Expression of ACE2, the receptor utilized by the novel coronavirus particles to gain is entery into human cells".

Hi Kipk,

Yes, but please take note of this excellent evaluation of those data by Bear:

"apabetalone has been previously shown to reduce expression of ACE2. However, the only manuscript (after a quick search) that I could find was this one and it was only a modest decrease (30%, -1.3-fold) and it was observed in human whole blood treated ex-vivo for 24 hours. I would feel more confident in this proposed mechanism with some additional confirmatory data showing reduced ACE2 mRNA, total protein and cell surface protein expression in other experiments and model systems."

1) A modest 30% reduction might not do much. 2) This is mRNA change, not protein; they don't always correlate. 3) Says nothing about cell surface expression of ACE2. 4) Still no evidence that I know of that modulation of ACE2 expression has any impact on the viral infection/replication process. Lots of hypotheses, nothing proven"

I would add:  The ACE2 protein is beneficial in patients with heart and lung disease - some clinicians have suggested that increasing, rather than decreasing, ACE2 levels might benefit Covid patients.  So the jury is out on this aspect.  

Jupe

New Message
Please login to post a reply