...We Welcome You To The Resverlogix HUB withIn The AGORACOM COMMUNITY!

Free
Message: Not good for the potential of apabetalone as a Covid-19 therapy

It's like using NSAID after flu shot. When given a flu shot, it's recommended to use either NSAIDs (eg. alleve, motrin, etc.) or Tylenol. There's a school of thought that NSAID should not be used because it reduces efficacy of flu shot by prematurely blocking inflammatory reaction, ie. your body's cranking up its immune system. Is this only in theory? Who knows. I'm sure it is backed by some scientific evidence. I didn't look for papers due to lack of time. But, in practice, people take NSAIDs or Tylenol after flu shots all the time if they don't feel well. I guess it also matters the MAGNITUDE of reduction in inflammatory reaction. If it's just slight reduction of inflammation and efficacy still holds (therefore, effectiveness in the real world setting), then it's acceptable.

When I heard this dual mechanism of actions of apabetalone, I expected these blows would come out no time.

ACE2 inhibitor is needed for infection to occur in the first place, so apabetalone wouldn't be effective as antiviral after infection. Maybe can dampen replication (so prevent re-infection of cells within the body).

Anti-inflammatory effect of apabetalone reminded me of NSAIDs story, but excpet for few acute situations, anti-inflammtory effect in general is good. So, I thought there might be some hope in this part of mechanism.

By the way, we still don't know the exact mechanism of action for Tylenol or corticosteroids. Guys, even witout knowing exact mechanism, if long-term safety is proven and efficacy is ensured, drugs can be used.

Last thing, dose (or I guess timing of administration in this context) makes it a drug or poison. If given to the right patient, at the right time, at the right dose, apabetalone might save lives where no drug works.

New Message
Please login to post a reply