Welcome to the San Gold HUB on AGORACOM

San Gold Corporation - one of Canada's most exciting new exploration companies and gold producers.

Free

A beutiful piece that is making history

posted on Nov 16, 2008 09:03AM

Bissett gold mine pours first brick in years Last Updated: Thursday, August 24, 2006 | 4:12 PM CT CBC News

Bissett gold mine pours first brick in years

Last Updated: Thursday, August 24, 2006 | 4:12 PM CT

CBC News

The outlook in Bissett, Man., was golden on Wednesday, thanks to the first gold brick to come out of the community's mine in years.

Bissett, located 250 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg, was home to the San Antonio mine, a successful gold mine that operated for more than 35 years before shutting down in 1968. It reopened briefly in 1980, 1996 and 1998.

Now, the mine is open again, and on Wednesday workers poured its first gold brick.

The mine, now known as the Rice Lake Gold Mine, is owned by San Gold Corp. The company plans to develop another property near the existing mine.

One of San Gold's founders, Hugh Wynne, said Thursday the mine could produce another million ounces of gold.

"I wouldn't say I'm making a lot of money. We're spending a lot of money," Wynne said.

"It's been a very exciting time, after working so long and so hard on this project to finally see an end result that's exceptionally good for the area and for the province of Manitoba."

Wynne said he estimates 80 per cent of his 200 employees come from Bissett and outlying native communities.

The company also buys most of its supplies and services locally.

All told, Wynne figures the operation injects more than $2 million into the local economy each month.

San Gold bought the Bissett mine in 2004, after its previous owner, the Harmony Gold Mining Company, ceased production in 2001 and placed the mine in "care and maintenance" mode.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...

New Message
Please login to post a reply