Welcome to the San Gold HUB on AGORACOM

San Gold Corporation - one of Canada's most exciting new exploration companies and gold producers.

Free

May 31, 2011 09:03PM
May 31, 2011 09:58PM
May 31, 2011 10:17PM

May 31, 2011 10:20PM
May 31, 2011 10:41PM

May 31, 2011 11:35PM
Jun 01, 2011 12:33AM

Ned's still bitter about Eskay Creek and Dickenson. This is third time lucky and he's not going to sell it for $4.50

http://www.goldenbandresources.com/html/news/media/rn_interview/index.cfm

XL: How did you end up with it?

Ron: Marguerite's husband had died, and he was running this little company, which was essentially broke at the time, but he had been a stock promoter in Vancouver for years and had always believed in this property. As I said, he originally staked it in the mid-1930s.

XL: So he had been optioning it out all this time?

Ron: To various parties, yes. And after the company was orphaned, Marguerite realized that she might as well get some people to help her with it. And it was a real advantage for Consolidated Stikine because we did a private placement financing at 28 cents with full warrants at 35 cents. Four of us took it. John ended up taking three units because he couldn't find any other parties to take it. I think within two or three years, we were taken out at $70.

XL: How was Eskay developed after you hit the discovery hole?

Ron: We hit the discovery hole and then a geologist called Chet Idziszek had his exploration team, from Prime Resources, pushed forward and continued drilling all through the winter. Nobody in his right mind would normally drill with a hundred feet of snow in the winter. But they were successful. By the end of that program, the real discovery holes were sunk and the real deposits got hit. The first deposit that we drilled off there is probably still not in the reserves. That's the way it goes sometimes.

XL: What made Prime so enthusiastic about it that they wanted to press on through the winter?

Ron:They got some very nice grades in the early holes. Even though the mineralogy was very nasty.

XL: Nasty?

Ron: It's what you'd call a refractory ore. It was full of realgar and orpiment, antimony, arsenic and mercury.

XL: But despite that, the grades were good enough to be interesting?

Ron: The grades were good enough.

Ron: We worked continuously from there on and then Prime made a successful takeover bid for the balance of Calpine. We were out shopping the property to various majors. We cut a deal with Corona, Ned Goodman's group, and they negotiated a price of about $55 per share. Behind the scenes, Placer Dome had been negotiating with them to jointly do it, but then they ran into disagreement about who was going to be the operator. One Friday morning, I was about to go home and got this phone call from the chairman of Placer saying that they had just made a takeover bid for Stikine at $67, cash.

XL: Nice premium.

Ron: Four of us really had the control block---five with Marguerite---and so we basically allowed Corona to match that. They ended up with it, but unfortunately I think they had to pay off so many costs that Ned lost control of the company to Homestake, and now it's in Barrick's hands.

---------------------------------

and

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0012486

But he had competition: the savvy Ned Goodman, a rival mining industry investor, now CEO of Dundee Bancorp Inc. An intense takeover battle ensued. Goodman sought a court injunction against McEwen but, with one day to go before the Goldcorp offer expired, an Ontario judge threw Goodman's case out. In April 1989, McEwen gained control of Dickenson and its Red Lake gold mine - and his problems had just begun.

Jun 01, 2011 12:49AM
Jun 01, 2011 02:28AM
Jun 01, 2011 02:53AM

Jun 01, 2011 10:26AM

Jun 01, 2011 10:29AM

Jun 02, 2011 02:38PM

Jun 02, 2011 03:19PM

Jun 02, 2011 03:42PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply