Welcome To The Silver Standard Resources HUB On AGORACOM

SSO on the TSX, SSRI on the NASDAQ

Free

ted butler's essay

posted on Oct 27, 2008 10:11AM

this is from ted butler's latest essay. he gave a rare interview at financialsense.com this past weekend.

This is the first time since I have been studying silver that total production has been in such sudden danger of a sharp decline. In fact, it would appear to me that this could be the perfect bullish storm for silver. Please consider the facts. World silver inventories are the lowest they have been in hundreds of years, thanks to a century of industrial consumption. This is precisely at the same time of the most serious threat to production in memory. More than any commodity, silver has been demonstrating real signs of tightness, even before impending widespread production cuts.

What really sets silver apart from the other industrial metals that may quickly go into related shortage situations if prices remain depressed, is the special dual role of silver, as both a vital industrial material and as a primary investment asset that can be owned directly by investors of all means. Silver, like gold, is an asset desired by investors, particularly when financial conditions are unsettled. Copper, lead and zinc are not such assets. So whereas we can have easily see industrial shortages and sharply higher prices for base metals, even in a recession, if production declines enough, those sharply higher prices will not be accompanied by ordinary investors rushing to buy zinc coins or bars of lead. That, most definitely, will be case in silver.

In fact, as I wrote last week, it is not just that investors are likely to buy silver, there is already an historic silver investment rush in force. And this investment rush is even more significant since it has developed only in the past three years, after decades of net investment selling of silver. Again, I couldn’t make these things up if I tried. And please remember, even in a recession with lower industrial demand, if users can’t get the silver supplies they need, they will panic at some point and rush to build inventories.

http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler...

Apr 06, 2020 03:02PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply