Free

John Embry: Exclusive Interview with Canada's Foremost Gold Investor (Part II)

Andrew Mickey: Where should we focus our investments across the whole range - from explorers all the way up to the majors?

John Embry: Right now, I think the majors are reasonably priced compared to the overall list. People have sort of focused on liquidity so they have gone after the majors and they bid them up aggressively and left a lot of the more illiquid situations behind.

That will all change. As gold becomes more popular and the price rises, at that point, money will filter down the food chain from the larger companies and they will go looking for the good quality smaller ones.

I particularly like some of the smaller producers now for a lot of reasons.

For one, they are going to make a ton of money in the current environment, particularly if they are producing outside the United States. Like some of the ones that are producing in Canada. The gold price yesterday was I believe $1,230 Canadian.

Another reason is because all of the costs of gold mining are dropping right now. Energy costs, steel prices, and all the things that went up so much and really hurt gold miners’ profitability. They are all going the other way now and at the same time the price of gold is going up. So I think that people are going to be pleasantly surprised going forward by the profitability of some of these mines, which have struggled up until recently.

So I am pretty bullish on small producers and anybody who has got a legitimate ore body that can be exploited sometime within the foreseeable future. I think they are going to be viewed positively too.

But the key thing to focus on is when their production will begin. If they don’t have to worry about getting through the environmental hurdles and getting the finance and et cetera, et cetera, they are going to make a lot of money.

New Message
Please login to post a reply