Free
Jun 08, 2009 03:40PM

Fastfoot...not trying to contradict you, just clarifying my take on this issue since others ask.

Yes, for every buy(er) there is a sell(er) and by definition, vise versa. But both sides of the trade are not necessarily investors like you and me.

Since market makers run the show, often times, if not always, they, the market makers, are actually the buyer or the seller. Sometimes they are both!

Usually when a large trade occurs at below the current bid, it is due to a normal investor like you or me having put in a sell order with the market maker only paying that investor a sub-bid price for that trade.

When an investor wants to buy a large block, the MM will usually demand a premium at a price above the current ask.

Sooner or later, you will see large blocks trade ABOVE the current ask, in fact, we saw a few of those at just prior to or just after the open, this week.

Why is this issue confusing? Look at the definitions of bid and ask:

Bid
The price a potential buyer is willing to pay for a security. Sometimes also used in the context of takeovers where one corporation is bidding for (trying to buy) another corporation. In trading, we have the bid-ask spread which is the difference between what buyers are willing to pay and what sellers are asking for in terms of price.

Ask

This is the quoted ask, or the lowest price an investor will accept to sell a stock. Practically speaking, this is the quoted offer at which an investor can buy shares of stock; also called the offer price.

Bold italics are mine. Now if the second half of each of those two definitions does not contradict the first half in each, then I'm not reading either of them right!

Bottom line, I almost always have paid the ask price when buying shares and have received the bid price when selling. So almost always when a trade occurs below the bid, someone has sold.

Jun 09, 2009 10:34AM

Jun 09, 2009 07:05PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply