Welcome To the Stock Synergy, Momentum & Breakout HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free

swy ment. here

posted on Oct 27, 2009 10:18PM

New Developments and Talking Heads in the Resurgent Commodity Boom

Posted by admin

<!--[if !mso]><span class="mceItemObject" classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></span></p> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <p><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 10]></p> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <p><![endif]-->

This weekend I stopped by the 2009 Toronto Resource Investment Conference held by Cambridge House International Inc. I sort of treat these conferences as a useful mini-PDAC: 100-200 juniors and some talks by analysts, but less free booze and conference swag.

Before getting onto the discussions I had at the booths, a short note on the talks given at the workshops. I attended two very different types of talks at the conference. The first was by Thom Calandra of Ticker Trax fame titled Guanajuato Silver (e.g. Great Panther Resources), Canadian Moly (e.g. Avanti Mining Corporation, TSX.V-AVT), Ghana Gold, and Global H1N1.The talk covered his past experiences, the millions he made selling companies he helped found, his run-ins with the S.E.C., his recent fishing trip with other colleagues, how accurate his past stock predictions have been, past anecdotes, and basically very little to do with the topics covered by the title. No information on how to pick a good stock was given, nor were his strategies discussed in any useful detail. Although in his defense, his presentation was accompanied by many pictures of his visits to sites in those regions.

In contrast to this drivel I was forced to sit through until the main booths opened, Mr. John Kaiser (The Bottom Fishing Report) gave a later talk that Sunday titled Understanding the Rare Earth Metals. This talk was much more useful (even though I found it a little distracting that he looks a little like the PC guy from the “I’m a Mac and I’m a PC” commercials). Although he and his colleagues take a much looser stance on what constitutes a Rare Earth Metal than do us scientists –he includes metals like Y, In, Sc, Ga, Ge, etc. along with the lanthanides, he presented a compelling argument for the future’s demand for these metals. He discussed the increasing need for most rare/exotic metals in new consumer products such as LCD screens, hybrid and electric cars, cellphones, etc. He made an interesting point that the world market for lanthanides was ~$1 billion (USD) in 2005. This has obviously changed to a much higher number. Actual recent pricing for all exotic metals is very hard to find as there is no centralized commodities exchange for these metal oxides (pricing is done in oxides of these metals). A “journalistic approach” is required to obtain much of the current pricing market data, to quote Mr. Kaiser.

One gripe I have is mostly due to my own fault not closely following Mr. Kaiser’s advice earlier. Many of the juniors exploring for exotic metals that have earned a recommendation by him back as recently as the beginning of the summer have shot up significantly. Some include Avalon Rare Metals Inc. (TSX-AVL) (up 386% since May 1, 2009) and Quest Uranium (TSX.V-QUC) (up 2325% since May 1, 2009). I was not able to get around the crowd at the Avalon booth during my time at the conference, but they seem to be making good headway with their Thor Lake peralkaline pegmatite in the Northwest Territories. I did get a chance to speak to some QUC employees though, including one of their field geologists. Their Strange Lake project straddles the Quebec-Labrador border and is an altered (secondary hematite, specularite, fluorite, etc.) alkali granite. Recent drilling confirmed zones of REEs+Y of 1.11-3.47% over 1-14 m. There is also a weighting towards the more valuable heavy REEs. Although this is not unusual for pegmatite REE deposits when compared to their carbonatite counterparts. Though it has pegmatitic zones similar to Thor Lake, the mineralogy, particularly the ore minerals, are very different. Strange Lake has zircon, gittinsite, pyrochlore, gadolinite, and allanite, whereas Thor Lake possesses bastnaesite, monazite, synchesite, allanite, zircon, columbite-tantalite, and fergusonite. In some cases, these ore minerals are quite coarse grained (>1 cm), leading to easy liberation from the rock during processing.

This means that should both projects make it to production, very different metal processing methods with have to be employed for each to obtain marketable metal oxides. One thing that did concern me is that QUC has basically no idea how to process this amazing deposit. (Nor does the literature given out by AVL give a clear image of how to process theirs either). These metals, especially the REEs, are very similar chemically and difficult to separate. Then again, this may not be a problem as most companies this size will, at a certain point, bring in a senior partner with better technical know-how to worry about this.

<!--[if gte mso 10]></p> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <p><![endif]-->

Other exotic metals companies at the conference that were worth notice were Matamec Exploration Inc. (TSX.V-MAT, light-heavy REEs, Y, Zr), Hudson Resources (light REEs, Ta, Zr, Nb), Rare Element Resources (Au, U, REEs) and Commerce Resources (Ta, Nb).

Needless to say, there is a lot of investor appetite for these types of companies with promising properties. Though I am not a fan of buzzwords such as the “Green Economy” and so on, there is definitely some substance to the developing markets for these metals that new technologies cannot do without.

As a final, but somewhat unrelated note, fans of Stornoway Diamond Corp. will be happy to know that drilling results will be out soon and an update of the 43-101 report on Renard will be due in this upcoming quarter. The preliminary assessment will be out no more than 6 months after that. As for their Avait play on the Melville Peninsula, progress was mostly relegated to desktop work this year as the unexpected extension of the Renard-2 pipe has kept their resources tied up. The company did make it to $0.30/share (down to ~$0.20 now), but that has mostly been due to the success of Peregrine Diamonds’ progress at their Chidliak property, proving to the “sheeple” in the investment sectors that yes, you can still make money holding diamond stocks post-2007.

New Message
Please login to post a reply