Welcome To the Stock Synergy, Momentum & Breakout HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free

kim
Oct 21, 2010 09:48AM

A couple of non-thoughts.

I don't like thinking - it makes my head hurt. I have tried it, but I usually outthink myself. I gave up DD a decade ago. It seemed every stock I dismissed as hopeless or on the verge of bankrupcy did better than the companies that seemed to have great fundamentals. Not that I was necessarily wrong, but it took a long time for other investors to agree.

For example, I avoided Nortel during the tech bubble because I didn't like their accounting. They booked profits from vendor-financed sales and paid most of it to the executives as bonuses. In other words, they sold equipment to customers who could not get their own financing - obvious poor credit risks. Since they paid this "profit" to management, any deadbeat customers would convert Nortel into a money-losing organization. Worse still, tech equipment quickly becomes worthless, so you can't even repossess - at least a forclosed house has some value. And yet, the stock continued to rise until its market cap grew to 45% of the entire TSX 100!

Now I just look at charts...........

kim
Oct 21, 2010 10:47AM
New Message
Please login to post a reply