Welcome To the Stock Synergy, Momentum & Breakout HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free

Even if the precious metal falls another $150 per ounce, this mining stock is still a great deal

The big gold stock rally that started in August is finally taking a break…

Last summer, the benchmark gold stock index, the HUI, was locked in long sideways trading pattern in the 450 area. Then, gold made a big $200-per-ounce move that lasted till December. This move helped hand the HUI a 28% gain in just a few months. Many smaller gold stocks climbed more than 100% during this move.

But as you can see, this move has turned from up to down. Take a look at the past 18 months of trading here:

The HUI has lost 16% since December 6, thanks to the weakness in gold… and has reached its lowest low in three months.

The long-term gold stock bull has to ask himself if this is a buying opportunity. Let's see what the values say here…

One of the first essays I wrote in 2011 discussed how cheap big gold miners looked based on a 2011 earnings estimate, using $1,400 gold. At that price, the big gold miners were going to make a lot of money… and they were selling super cheap.

But what happens if gold heads back to $1,200 and stays there? Are these stock worth owning?

Gold Miner
PE Ratio at
$1,400 per oz.
PE Ratio at
$1,200 per oz.
Goldcorp 10.8 13.6
Newmont Mining 13.5 29.7
Barrick Gold 11.6 19.1

Well, if you lower the gold price, they all get more expensive. But take a look at Goldcorp. Even if gold falls another $150 per ounce, it's still a great deal.

The short-term trend is still down, so I don't suggest buying these stocks just yet. But I'm a long-term bull on gold. Once the trend stabilizes, I'll be looking for bargains like Goldcorp.

Disclosure: The author does not hold positions in any of the stocks mentioned

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Matt Badiali, Growth Stock Wire
Growth Stock Wire is free daily investment newsletter written by veteran market traders. Every morning, GSW readers receive a pre-market briefing on the day's most profitable investment opportunities.
New Message
Please login to post a reply