Welcome To The Taseko Mines Limited HUB On AGORACOM

Building wealth through developing and operating major copper mines

Free

Harper to decide fate of B.C. mine

Taseko Mine's proposed Prosperity Project would require draining Fish Lake, located 125 kilometres southwest of Williams Lake in the traditional territories of the Xeni Gwet'in First Nation. Xeni Gwet'in First Nation

Federal review panel, which warned of ‘significant adverse environment effects,’ didn’t have mandate to weigh economic benefitsDavid Ebner in Vancouver and Justine Hunter in Victoria

From Saturday's Globe and Mail Published on Friday, Jul. 02, 2010 6:03PM EDT Last updated on Sunday, Jul. 04, 2010 11:20AM EDT

Stephen Harper has the summer to decide whether hundreds of new jobs created by a proposed $800-million copper-gold mine in the struggling British Columbia Interior outweigh the significant negative environmental impacts, including the destruction of a fishing lake.

A federal review panel ruled late Friday that the Prosperity copper-gold mine would have “significant adverse environmental effects” on several factors, including fish, fish habitat, grizzly bears and first nations’ use of the land for traditional purposes.

But the open-pit mine, which would use the lake to store waste tailings from the copper and gold processing, has already been approved by the B.C. government. While the B.C. assessment foresaw harm to the environment, it concluded that was outweighed by a predicted $5-billion economic injection over the 20-year life of the mine and $600-million of revenue for various governments.

For Full Article see:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/harper-to-decide-fate-of-bc-mine/article1627110/

Cheers

durban1

New Message
Please login to post a reply