Welcome to the Winfield Stock Hub

Engineering, procurement, construction & management of crude oil refineries.

Free

Tax question

posted on Nov 09, 2007 10:12AM

I have this prepared for my tax adviser, but thought maybe some of you on the board might have some opinion seeing that time is of the essence.   

Dear CRA Advisor:

I have a bit of a dilemma on a stock I own called WWF.  You see it is halted and I expect it to go up a lot when it reopens.  My problem is that I don’t like having to pay money on income tax.  I hold 50,000 in my RRSP so I’m not worried about that, but I have 25,000 outside my RRSP.  So what should I do? 

1)                  If I sell on open at what I paid for it then I won’t have a tax problem.

2)                  If I sell at less than what I bought it for on open, then I will have a tax loss, which would be very nice to bring my income tax down.

3)                  If I hold it, it will go up so much that I will have to use all of my $250,000 capital gains allotment on it when I sell a portion of it.  That will leave me having to pay 100% income tax on the 70% I have left of my 25,000 shares.  

What should I do?  I am in desperate need of help for this serious problem.  

Please give me your advice as soon as possible, as all my instincts tell me this will be back on the market soon and I have to make a decision. 

What to do, what to do! Oh my.

Nov 09, 2007 10:34AM
New Message
Please login to post a reply