Welcome to the Winfield Stock Hub

Engineering, procurement, construction & management of crude oil refineries.

Free

Question about PP certificates and TFSA

posted on Apr 18, 2009 09:52PM

Okay – I’m not sure if this belongs here or on the off-topic forum. I think enough of us here have bought into the PP so I’m going to post it here but someone with authority should please move it to the off-topic if it is of no interest to others.

From what I understand (I think from Babs) is that the certificates will be worth as far as Revenue Canada is concerned, not what we bought them for but what they trade for. So I was thinking the following:

• Sell from other trading account (non-RRSP) to TFSA when I see the lowest price I believe it will go to – preferably $0.05 or as near to that as I see happening so that I can deposit my $5,000.

• Hold the certificate and deposit it when it is worth more to the RRSP and gain this year’s tax write off.

The reason I thought of this is that I was concerned about getting my certificate to Toronto in time for trading as from what everyone says it could happen very fast, that is why I came up with the last question. I thought to myself that it would make more sense as I would have control over what I was doing, rather than just sending it the bank and then it just gets deposited at whatever rate.)

This actually makes sense to me to just hold it in my hot little hands and do the RRSP thing when it is worth more. Any comments would be appreciated. Does anyone else have any other strategies that I haven’t thought of and does this make sense?

What would have made more sense to me is just to deposit it for the price I paid, but it seems from what I have heard from this board that this is not the case.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/insight.

Best luck to all,
Goldie

New Message
Please login to post a reply