Welcome to the Winfield Stock Hub

Engineering, procurement, construction & management of crude oil refineries.

Free

the background to my previous message

posted on Sep 20, 2009 01:20AM

Hi all,

I just sat and had a smoke on my patio thinking about the message that I just sent, and decided that it would be more meaningful if I explained the background.

Roy has warned me about giving-out too much information about myself on this forum, but I'm going to ignore his warnings for the moment because I need to do so for this story :-)

I'm a professor at UBC. A couple of months ago, my senior PhD student came into my office for an "update meeting". He looked... exhausted... beaten... frustrated... When he sat down I looked at his face and the FIRST thing I thought was 'he looks JUST like Mike Foley did when I went to WWF a few months ago!'. The difference was that I *knew* this student, and I *knew* that he was just a few weeks away from success! So i let him vent his frustrations at me for a half-hour until he got them out of his system... and then we talked, and I encouraged him, reminded him of how much he had already accomplished, and how close he was to his goal! I *knew* that he wasn't going to fail, even though he was starting to doubt it himself!

That student graduated with his doctorate two weeks ago, with the highest grade possible at UBC!

MF does NOT need our 'crap' right now... he needs our support and encouragement! He is trying to pull-off a deal that is, as far as i can tell, unprecedented in the Vancouver penny-markets!

Success is HARD!! ...and if MF pulls-off this success, then he will undoubtedly be more successful than most/all of the whiners on this board!! So... STOP POOPING ON HIM!! Success is HARD, and he is no-doubt exhausted and frustrated, just as my student was. ...but i have exactly the same faith that "hard" is not a barrier for people like MF!! He will succeed!

Just MHO

Muddled

New Message
Please login to post a reply