Free
I can give you a lot of history re: PTSC. Yes, they did have a product besides their basic IP, though their intent was to license the design for production by others. Their first real product (never went into mass production) was the Sh-Boom microprocessor which, though originally designed to process C/C++, was discovered to process JAVA at unprecedented speeds. That processor, in '97/'98, was the backbone of the fastest operating computer in the world (it's true!) at that time. Its ability to process JAVA should have openned a lot of doors (somebody published an article about it on 4/9/99, in an emag dedicated to JAVA and sponsored by SUNW), but JAVA never took off as expected. They now have newer, enhanced versions of that processor (Ignite and Inflame), and those designs have been licensed to General Dynamics and AMD. So PTSC does have potential beyond the shared patent portfolio. As for the potential of PTSC's patent licensing campaign versus EDIG's, PTSC wins hands down. EDIG can go after all infringers selling devices with removeable flash memory, but each and every one of those devices uses a chip that infringes on PTSC's patent portfolio (not to mention everything else that uses a microprocessor). EDIG's patents hit a mere minor subset of what PTSC's patents hit. Perhaps I've interpretted your posts along these lines incorrectly, but you come across to me as suggesting that EDIG's potential in the patent licensing arena dworfs PTSC's, which is simple not the case. Perhaps your basis is a OS count comparison (200M vs. 400M), which has validity to a degree. Or perhaps based on PTSC's cut of the license fee pie (50/50) vs. whatever EDIG can get on a contingency fee basis (probably a little better), which also has some merit. I'm whittling myself and cutting you a little slack here, but please take care not to exagerate (perhaps out of ignorance/lack of awareness) when making such comparisons. Such actions can create unrealistic expectations, and is borderline hype in violation of Agora rules. IF EDIG can get a deal done with a patent law firm(s), there is great potential. Let it go at that! But we're a long way from chomping on that sweet fruit, IMO. And I KNOW nuttin'! SGE
New Message
Please login to post a reply