Free
Message: "..."a new class of next-generation" Internet-based portable video players..."

"Announced at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) in Shanghai, China, the new Intel parts are priced initially between $45 and $160 in 1,000-unit quantities. They are accompanied to market by a comparatively large "SCH" (system controller hub) built on 130nm process technology. As the only chipset available currently for the Atom parts, the Poulsbo SCH is included for free in Atom's list price."

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4...

"Atom's SCH companion chip integrates northbridge and southbridge along with OpenGL 3D graphics, support for DirectX 9L, and hardware-accelerated 720p and 1080i video decode. The IDE controller has a parallel rather than a relatively more power-hungry serial ATA interface. I/O options included PCI Express, SDIO, and USB Host and Client, says Intel. Supporting both Linux and Windows, the chipsets come with 400MHz or 533MHz FSB buses and support up to 1GB of RAM. The "Atom Centrino" silicon family also includes optional WiFi, WiMax, and other peripheral components, including a penny-sized, 16GB solid state disk option."
who's translation to that environment will be in there? "Currently, about 20 companies are designing boards and systems based on the parts."

I like this fact...."Atom was reportedly designed at Intel's Austin, Tex.-based facility, rather than at the Israel-based facility where Pentium M -- and hence Core and Core2 -- were designed. Based on a new dual-issue micro-architecure with in-order execution and a 16-stage pipeline, the Atom is Intel's first in-order part since the original Pentium."

"Whereas the Pentium 60 had 3.1 million transisters, and a die size of nearly 300 square millimeters, Atom chips have 47 million transistors on a die area of 25 square mm"

"Moorestown" on the way as an SOC combining the atom with the SCH

A process delivered from the hart land...I might buy Intel even if edig's not involved @ the penny sized SSD, or, as an expansion vendor for video/audio apps from flash.

I'll watch for the Moorstown devlopment to appear in 09.

doni

New Message
Please login to post a reply