Free

IFE Comments & eNewsletter

posted on May 27, 2009 07:05AM

I'm not keeping up very well these days -- trying to keep those nasty wolves at bay and our nose above the waterline. So, below is the latest IFE newsletter. Forgive me if someone has already posted as it is dated Monday, but I received this am.

Of note is the new orders announced and the Wencor sponsorship I have mentioned previously. It is tough for these trade rag "reporters" to be objective about the EDIG vs. Digecor case when Wencor is footing the bill.

IMO, EDIG will have a much better chance at these new orders once this mess is closed and out of the way. I know if I were any of the other IFE players I would make mention of the mess with BOTH companies to any potential client. Who wants to get in bed with a company that has a cloud hangin' over their head?

This, too, shall pass soon, I hope.

Then, guess what time it is? Fred, it is time to sell something.

John

Monday, May 26, 2009

Streaming Video - Not Really Part Two!

Last week we introduced many of you to the Roku streaming TV device with an eye toward a short article about streaming video to the aircraft from satcom-based and terrestrial delivery sources. We told you that we would cover that subject this week - not! That's next week because we wanted to get a bit more information about the existing delivery of streamed inflight entertainment onboard aircraft via the traditional IFE hardware.

First we asked Rich Salter, Lumexis techno-guru, to tell us about the formats used today and he told us: “Most airlines are using MPEG1 and MPEG2 for their AVOD systems now (about 50/50 MPEG1 and MPEG2), and MPEG1 is at 1.5 Mbps constant bit rate while MPEG2 is at 3.5Mbps constant bit rate per WAEA spec. MPEG4 is not yet being used much on the embedded IFE, but it is on the portable media players (IMS, digEcor, etc.), and the bit rate is about 2Mbps. We have been saying that the High-Def MPEG4 will need to be at about 8Mbps (still a very small bite out of bandwidth on our fiber system!). Internet TV can use different bit rates other than IFE (those bitrates I gave are for IFE only). So I don't think we can tell if it's (TV Streaming Video) is MPEG1 or MPEG2 by the bit rate being 1.5Mbps. Let me ask my trusty Internet video expert John to weigh in on this one.”

Next, we heard from another IFE techno-wizard, John Holyoake, about the TV side of streaming - he told IFExpress: “Rich is correct. There are many different players and formats used to stream internet video, including Flash, Quicktime, RealPlayer, Windows Media, Divx, etc. Most have adopted some variation of MPEG-4 for minimum bitrates and good quality. But MPEG1 and MPEG2, and proprietary codecs are still in use, so you can't tell which codec is used, based on bitrate alone.”

And lastly, we checked our data with content guru, Michael Childers and he opined: “WAEA 0395 codifies MPEG-1 at 1.5Mbps and MPEG-2 at 3.5Mbps. WAEA 0403 codifies H.264 and WMV at 1.0<Mbps. The “1.0-and-up” for H.264 and WMV was done that way to enable hardware providers to use higher bitrates than 1.0Mbps for larger screen sizes, and it is believed that some may go as high as 1.5Mbps. MPEG-1, which is the most-used codec in IFE currently, was designed to compress VHS-quality digital video down to 1.5Mbps at resolution of 352×240, or “SIF” resolution. MPEG-2 was designed to improve upon MPEG-1 and outperforms MPEG-1 at 3Mbps and above. WAEA 0395 codifies MPEG-2 at 3.5Mbps. There is very little MPEG-2 use in IFE today, but some. The MPEG-4 codecs are: a) MPEG-4 Part 2, Visual, which only improves upon the bit efficiency of MPEG-2 by about 20%, and hence is not being used in IFE today; and b) MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC), also called H.264 Advanced Video Coding, and VC-1/SMPTE 421M which is the same as Windows Media Video. These were designed to do at 1.0Mbps what MPEG-2 does at 3Mbps.”

So, there you have it, onboard IFE system content streaming in a nutshell. next week we will talk to a few of the inflight streamers and dreamers about the next generation of streaming content. Remember, bandwidth is everything!

Here are some links for more detailed information:

News Releases

Noted Elsewhere

Photos @ Flickr

Browse our photo gallery

Inside View
Inflight connectivity is about getting data to and from a passenger's laptop, or getting their voice to the right ear, wherever that might be. The technology behind it may not be interesting to passengers, but it is technological developments, such as TriaGnoSys' new GSM roaming solution, that drive increased efficiencies, reduce costs and thereby enable airlines to offer more connectivity to more people.”
- Axel Jahn, Managing Director, TriaGnoSys

Upcoming Events
Sep 14
  • 10th Annual Aviation Industry Suppliers Conference
Oct 05
  • 30th Annual WAEA Conference & Exhibition
Nov 02
  • 14th Annual Regional & Business Aviation Industry Suppliers Conference

Visit our website for details

Copyright © 2009 - All Rights Reserved

New Message
Please login to post a reply