Free

Air Canada selects Thales In-flight Entertainments

posted on Jun 13, 2005 10:57PM
Air Canada selects Thales In-flight Entertainments

Paris Le Bourget, 13 Jun 2005

Thales announced that it has been selected as the supplier of choice for Air Canada’s entire commercial fleet representing 241 aircraft. This overall program is the largest, most aircraft diverse business arrangement in the history of InFlightEntertainment (IFE). The Thales system, called TopSeries, will install on aircraft that are manufactured by Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, and Bombardier. Single aisle, twin aisle and regional jet planes will fly with the TopSeries i-4500 system.

The i-4500 is a revolutionary IFE system development that is based on Thales’ proven

i-4000 video and audio on-demand system. What is different about the i-4500 is that the electronic seat box under the passenger seat and the RF network that delivers broadcast services have been removed. These modifications enable Thales to install the TopSeries system on aircraft of all sizes. From Air Canada’s perspective, the i-4500 system provides passengers more leg room and 100% digital video and audio on-demand services. In addition, the overall weight of the system is significantly reduced which results in fuel cost savings.

“TopSeries was the perfect fit into Air Canada’s in-flight entertainment strategy. Regardless of what aircraft a passenger is on, the in-flight entertainment product will be consistent and excellent,” said George Reeleder, Senior Director, Marketing for Air Canada. At the seat, passengers will have either 8.9 inch or 12.1 inch, 16 x 9 wide screen display. All touch screen, the displays will provide passengers ease of operation. By end of 2005, Air Canada will fly with the Thales system on a Bombardier CRJ-705 and a Embraer 175/190. These installations will be the first time in IFE history that an all digital AVOD IFE system will operate on regional jet aircraft.

“Thales is delighted to be working with Air Canada. In so many ways, it allows Thales to accelerate its position in the IFE market place and at the same time provide to Air Canada and its customers the product and experience that they want,” said Brad Foreman, Vice President and General Manager of Thales’ In-flight Entertainment business. Beyond the system itself, Air Canada and Thales are looking at turnkey maintenance and digital content services.

New Message
Please login to post a reply