Free
Message: Re: Apple must pay OPTi $21.7M in patent suit/ arkie

I like your humor, but I think we are forgetting something.

This Apple/OPTi deal from the article DB posted looks like it went to trial. The jury award then becomes public right? That's my understanding.....

The LG settlement was published as 1.6 mln.

The other 6 had NDA's, and most here assume it is DM/EDIG insisting on this vs the other party or both, but cannot offer up any proof one way or the other.

It is assumed by many here that the settlements are so "embarassing", EDIG wants it hushed up, when a kid in accounting 101 at the high school level can determine the average settlement values from the quarterly financials, let alone these companies we are suing.

For whatever reason 6 of 7, and I suspect most to follow are not publishing the settlement details, since you'll note in the PR's "details are not available due to a confidentiality agreement", it has a reason that is between one or both parties. The average values cannot be hidden, so what's the point in assuming EDIG wants this hush hushed?

At the end of the day, the quarterly financials speak for themselves, and even though we want to put a spin and make wild guesses as to what each company will cough up, such as 50 mln from Samsung, what the parties negotiate as a settlement without a lengthy court deal is what we get. And lets not forget, management states the XLA's are valuable over the long haul. To me this means you give up some cash to get something equally good or better along with it.

We are still at tier I, about 1.5 mln each on average. If, and I say if, the 19 go at this price and are all done in 6-12 months, that's another 28.5 mln less ~ 45% to DM leaves us nearly 16 mln. All this math aside, the NDA's have a reason and we have no choice but to trust it is a good thing.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

New Message
Please login to post a reply