Free
Message: My response from RP - more than I expected but less than I hoped for

I am going to watch it…I’ll let you know if see a breakout.

They appear poised to continue this growing revenue stream for some time. A profitable and growing penny stock…not an easy thing to find.

e.Digital Corporation - Can you Dig it?

Posted by Jeffrey Dean

Continuing my series of blogs on penny stocks that my readers and subscribers have sent me, today’s spotlight is shining on e.Digital Corporation (EDIG.OB). Can you dig it? Probably not!. After going through a number of dogs that some readers submitted, I was pleased to actually be researching a real company that has revenues and bright prospects.

EDIG provides digital video/audio technology (DVAP) platform for use in the production of portable electronic products. The company’s website claims that they are:

“….. a proven innovator of multiple audio and video technology platforms including its secure portable Video on Demand eVU™ mobile entertainment system. Through its eVU sales and services, e.Digital is one of the leading producers of dedicated portable In Flight Entertainment (IFE) to airlines around the world.”

What I like about EDIG is that they are profitable, growing TEN cent stock. The company just issued a press release proudly announcing record revenues and a yearly profit for FY 2009 ending March 31, 2009. The booked $11.1 MM in revenues, a 99% increase over the previous fiscal year. Profits were an astounding $5.9 MM for the same period…and, the stock dropped like a rock. I found out why….the profits were not “in the ordinary course of business”, but rather patent enforcement awards from companies that infringed upon their patents. I do not know if that business model is sustainable.

What I don’t like about EDIG is their capital structure. They have an obscene number of shares outstanding and in float. All of the good news that they are putting out barely moves the small cap stock. In fact, once they issued their glowing PR about FY 2009 results, the stock dropped from 15 cents to 10 cents. I really enjoyed the reading the board bashers pound this stock. It seems that this penny stock is polarizing. It has a history of being pumped. In fact, it was a $25 stock almost a decade ago. Management has gorged for years in the public trough (i.e. stock issues, paying everybody in stock,etc…) and now very few trust the stock.

Just like I recommended with SPNG, they should drop a bomb in their capital structure. A buyback of a hundred million shares would help. It would only cost them $10 MM. The company actually has a decent balance sheet…some cash in the bank and no long-term debt. It has a retained loss of almost $80 million which should provide a buffer against taxes for a few years. But, their capital stucture stinks.

Having said that, let’s look at the chart:

The small cap stock has been beat down of late and the indicators are a bit “muddy”. Stochastics are indicating that the stock is oversold (maybe we’ll get a bounce), the MACD is slightly bullish (although it is below the zero line and approaching the signal line) and the stock is in distribution. The stock has a 52 wk. range of .08 to .20. Not very impressive for a profitable company.

eDigital - Can I Dig it? I’m not sure. It is a typical penny stock and is extremely volatile and almost impossible to predict. The signs seem to point to a rally and with a decent balance sheet, the company should be around for a while. I didn’t pick up on the boards if they are a takeover candidate, but that might make sense. An acquirer wouldn’t care about their bloated capital structure. They would only care about EDIG’s patent and product portfolio.

Let me know your thoughts about EDIG. I am going to watch it…I’ll let you know if see a breakout.

Editors Note: I recieved an email from a reader, Peter Taylor. Mr. Taylor pointed out some things that I missed and I have made changes to my post above.

DO NOT BASE ANY INVESTMENT DECISION UPON ANY MATERIALS FOUND ON THIS REPORT. We are not registered as a securities broker-dealer or an investment adviser either with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) or with any state securities regulatory authority. We are neither licensed nor qualified to provide investment advice. Neither InvestorSoup.com nor its affiliates have a beneficial interest in the mentioned company; nor have they received compensation of any kind for any of the companies listed in this communication. The information contained in our report is not an offer to buy or sell securities. We distribute opinions, comments and information free of charge exclusively to individuals who wish to receive them.

2 Responses to “e.Digital Corporation - Can you Dig it?”

Dean Furkioti November 3, 2009

A follow up on e.Digital’s progress since your last analysis.
Today they announced 19 new patent infringement suits levied against notables such as Nokia, Canon and a slew of others.

And just recently they announced a settlement with SAMSUNG. They also won, hands down, a suit filed against them by a company called digecor.

With that, there remains nothing negative hanging over the company’s ability to conduct business going forward, They should report revenues from SAMSUNG and some renewed sales of their in flight entertainment product to the airlines.

They have settled all 7 of their first round infringement suits and now with this announcement for 19 more should be guaranteed a revenue stream for some time….growing and profitable. Not a bad business model considering they have stated they have identified over 170 infringing companies. They appear poised to continue this growing revenue stream for some time. A profitable and growing penny stock…not an easy thing to find.
http://www.edigital.com/

New Message
Please login to post a reply