Free

"That is why I asked what size block they used.'

I didn't know if you were commenting on e.Digitals logical block format, or physical memory.

"IMO the block size is what is most important. A memory error in a block would flag the entire block so that it is never to be used. They would want the block size to be small for that reason. But too small, and you lose efficiency by spending greater time spent on memory management.

I guess you are commenting on physical attributes..

"The blocking of memory is up to the user, the manufacture creates a quantity of memory. How it gets used is up to the buyer. Discs had to be formatted into cylinders, tracks and sectors."

However, this seems to be a commenting of format...

In any event...

RE: solid state

Manufacturers create different types of memory geometry. Some have physical arrangements of large erase block and small read/write blocks(NOR) delivering a fast read and slow write. Some have small erase blocks and large read/write blocks(NAND) delivering slow read and a fast write.

It's up to the device user to implement as necessary.....one problem is "bad bit" as you seem to have a handle on. Utilizing NAND will improve that situation. For a 1MB comparison, a NOR might have 16 erase blocks and 1M read/write blocks, where a NAND might have 256 erase blocks and 4k read/write blocks.

e.Digital will straddle either with their format.

That said, they correct the inefficiency of read with regard to NAND.....and they can emulate a RAM as a main memory utilizing NAND.

Are you Jimmy11?

doni

New Message
Please login to post a reply