Free

emit most all of the important details are covered, they snagged memory integrity test out of 737... while anticipating yet 4(the way the memory is used).... 6 & 7 yet other memory integrity issues.

" As set forth in its Initial Disclosures, e.Digital currently asserts against each Defendant
claims 1, 2, 3, 18 and 19 of the ‘774 Patent and claim 5 of the ‘737 Patent. "

claim 1. A record/playback device for use with a removable, interchangeable, flash memory recording medium which enables extended recording comparable with tape cassette dictating equipment, said device comprising: a housing;...a microphone element coupled to the housing and configured to receive and process sound into electrical signals;...control circuitry coupled to the microphone element and including signal input circuitry, amplification circuitry, analog-to-digital conversion circuitry, memory control circuitry, signal output circuitry and control logic circuitry for performing record and playback functional operations with respect to the electrical signals and other regulated components of the record/playback device;...said switch means coupled to the control circuitry for selecting the desired functional operations to be performed;...a receiving socket electrically coupled to the memory control circuitry and configured for electrical coupling with a flash memory module which operates as sole memory of the received processed sound electrical signals and is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage in nonvolatile form;...a speaker coupled to the control circuitry for playback of recorded digital information;.... and a power source coupled to the control circuitry for supplying electrical power to the device.

claim 2. A device as defined in claim 1, comprises a flash memory module inserted within the receiving socket and which has the capacity to store digital information without need for ongoing power support.

claim 3. A device as defined in claim 2, wherein the flash memory module includes write protect circuitry operable independent of the record/playback device.

claim 18. A device as defined in claim 1, wherein said housing is of sufficiently small dimensions so as to rest within a hand to enable fingers of the hand to simultaneously grip the housing while manipulating a switch means mounted thereon.

claim 19. A record/playback device for use with a removable, interchangeable, flash memory recording medium which enables extended recording comparable with tape cassette dictating equipment, said device comprising: a housing;...a microphone element coupled to the housing and configured to receive and process sound into electrical signals;...
control circuitry coupled to the microphone element and including signal input circuitry, amplification circuitry, memory control circuitry, signal output circuitry and control logic circuitry for performing record and playback functional operations with respect to the electrical signals and other regulated components of the record/playback device;...said switch means coupled to the control circuitry for selecting the desired functional operations to be performed;...a receiving socket electrically coupled to the memory control circuitry and configured for electrical coupling with a recording medium which is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage;...a flash memory module which operates as sole memory of the received processed sound electrical signals and is capable of retaining recorded digital information for storage in nonvolatile form;...a speaker coupled to the control circuitry for playback of recorded digital information; ...and a power source coupled to the control circuitry for supplying electrical power to the device.

claim 5. A method for verifying the integrity of memory on a removable flash memory recording medium chip for use within a hand held recording device, such that the flash memory is suitable for recording voice messages, said method comprising the steps of:
a) providing a removable flash memory recording chip and a hand held recording device with a plug assembly for electrically coupling the flash memory and the recording device; and

b) activating a memory integrity test by manually inserting the flash memory chip into the plug assembly of said recording device to electrically couple the flash memory to the recording device.

Other

"e.Digital anticipates that discovery from Defendants will show that their accused products also infringe claims 4, 6 and/or 7 of the ‘737 Patent."

4 will bring into account how the memory is formatted serially and the data structure is searched to find the end of last recorded message....

claim 4. A method for recording a new message on a hand held recording device without disturbing the physical continuity of existing messages and without manually searching for a blank segment of memory on the flash memory digital recording medium, said method comprising the steps of:

a) placing the recording device in an idle mode where all recorder functions are inactive; and

b) activating a record switch causing the recording device to:

i) search for an end of a last recorded message on the recording medium,

ii) identify a segment of flash memory past the end of a last recorded message as a beginning point where the new message may be recorded, and

iii) begin recording a new message at the beginning point.

claim 6. A method as defined in claim 5, wherein the memory integrity test of step b) further comprises the steps of:

a) testing memory segments of the flash memory to determine whether said segments can record and play a voice message, or are defective; and

b) marking defective memory segments so that the recording device will not record to said segments.

I had recently corrected my commentary, where I was under the impression that they had the ability to mark a read/write block (that which would equate a segment)....to: they would have to mark a whole erase block (a collection of read/write blocks) dead, losing all the potential space....as others have to do. I do not remember what change my consideration....but reading this, I guess I'm back to my original consideration, seeing the system functions at the read/write block, that they could salvage an erase block (or array) having a bad bit
Perhaps the word segment will be focused on in the Markman proceedings.

claim 7. A method as defined in claim 5, further providing a method for verifying the integrity of memory on a removable flash memory recording medium chip, said method comprising the steps of:

a) providing a removable flash memory recording chip and a hand held recording device with a plug assembly for electrically coupling the flash memory and the recording device; and

b) activating a memory integrity test of said flash memory by manually inserting batteries into the recording device that is electrically coupled to the flash memory.

doni

New Message
Please login to post a reply