Free

Fighting flight boredom

posted on Nov 22, 2005 04:48AM
Fighting flight boredom

22 November 2005

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3487433a11275,00.html

Gerard Campbell checks out the DigEplayer, a portable in-flight entertainment unit.

Whenever I go on a long-haul plane flight (which isn`t often), the first thing I usually do is check out what movies are showing.

Unfortunately, the movies that were playing during a flight from Christchurch to Los Angeles earlier this year were less than appealing – I wish I had had a DigEplayer handy then.

The latest trend in in-flight entertainment, I put a DigEplayer through it`s paces recently and came away impressed.

Think of the DigEplayer as a portable entertainment unit. JetStar will offer the portable devices on its flights to Australia, starting early next month, renting them to passengers for $12.

JetStar says the player will offer 10 movies and eight TV comedies, as well as audio tracks, and content will be updated twice a month.

Weighing about 1.6kg, the player is light enough to hold in your hands comfortably, but a handy integrated stand at the back means you can prop it up on the tray table for easy viewing .

The player can run for up to 10 hours before its internal battery needs recharging.

In my testing, I watched Batman Begins and Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, and an episode each of The Office, Scrubs and The Simpsons.

The LCD screen provided a sharp, flicker-free image that offered a wide-screen aspect ratio of 16:9, at a resolution of 480 by 234 pixels, or a more standard resolution of 320 by 240 pixels.

The screen was viewable from most angles, and the headphones, which looped over the ears, provided nice stereo sound.

I was skeptical at first how good the quality of a fast-paced movie like Batman Begins would be, but after watching it, I was pleasantly surprised, although the on-screen image got slightly blurry when there was fast movement, like intense fighting scenes.

The DigEplayer`s main menu is clear and functional, and it was easy to navigate through the programme or movie choices.

You can also fast forward, rewind and pause your movie or TV show for when nature calls.

I could have done with the DigEplayer during my flight to LA in May where I had to sit through Coach Carter and Bride and Prejudice.

* Thanks to JetStar for the loan of the DigEplayer.

New Message
Please login to post a reply