Solid foundations. New horizons.

Free

Just got back from a 'hunting' trip to Borden Lake. Risking competing with the new Northern Miner article which is right on, here is my impression of the site;

Bradley Bros. Ltd is providing drilling services for Probe. They have two gated access roads that run off of Hwy 101; one runs south from the highway about one km east of where the highway loops over the northwest lobe of Borden Lake (fly to Chapleau, Ontario on Google Earth and go about 5-10 km east). I drove down this road, as the gate was open, and came to a base camp with three Bradley Bros pickup trucks, supply trailors, etc. but nobody around. I didn't see or hear the drills but presumed they were farther to the south accessed by quad and skidder trails which were evident. On my way out I met another pickup truck coming in, to which I waved.

The second road was about 1 km to the west, right where Hwy 101 touches the north west lobe of Borden lake. This road runs north, was obviously well traveled, but gate was closed with no trespassing signs posted. Presumably this is where they are accessing 'the nose'. In between these two roads, on the north side of the highway are several older logging roads, unposted, so exploring I went. All this area has been logged 5-10 years prior. Low bedrock outcrops are evident everywhere here and the Timiskaming metasediments are quite distinctive, being dramatically laminated. Quartz viens were also evident with rusty blebs along the edges which were presumably the gold bearing sulphides. This area was criss crosssed with recent geophysical cut lines.

Chapleau is a fully serviced northern Ontario community with rail, air, road, hydro services right there. There are also a number of First Nations communities nearby, one of which is right on Hwy 101 about 5 km south of the work area, thus the impetus to engage this group early on. Overall, I would say the setting looks very positive.

The Mookster

New Message
Please login to post a reply