Solid foundations. New horizons.

Free
interesting, i thought i would do a little reading and share iit with the group, an old article on Arequipa.

THE $800 million takeover by the Barrick Gold Corporation, North America's biggest gold producer, of Arequipa Resources, a tiny, four-year-old Vancouver company with potentially rich deposits in Peru, is spurring renewed interest in Canada's plentiful supply of junior mining stocks.

The juniors enjoyed a lusty market play last spring in the wake of the phenomenal success stories of Diamond Fields Resources, since acquired by Inco Ltd., which a few years ago accidentally discovered mammoth reserves of nickel in Labrador, and Bre-X Minerals, which hit upon one of the world's largest gold mines in Busang, Borneo.

But the markets, as is typical, overreacted, and earlier this summer there was a sharp selloff in these issues. Barrick's announcement on July 11 that it would pay $27 a share for Arequipa -- whose stock through January had never risen much above $2 -- stunned the market and stirred the pot anew.

Even the $27 offer turned out to be insufficient. In response, Arequipa stepped up exploration activities at its Pierina open-pit mine in Peru, finding signs of still bigger deposits -- and held out for more money.

On Aug. 16 Barrick, demonstrating an insatiable appetite for acquisitions, sweetened the offer to $30. On Tuesday, Barrick locked up the deal after 93 percent of the Arequipa shares it did not already own had been tendered. Yet for $1.6 billion only two years ago, Barrick had bought Lac Minerals, with reserves in Chile as well as North America.

Several analysts wondered whether Barrick was not paying too much for Arequipa. The Peruvian site would have to yield 9 million to 10 million ounces of gold to justify the price, they said.

Barrick could still be reacting to its failure to participate in the Bre-X discovery in Borneo when it had the chance in 1993. Bre-X needed a partner and approached Barrick, but talks broke down after Barrick drove too hard a bargain.

New Message
Please login to post a reply