Free
Message: Rivian CEO eyes smaller electric vehicles for China, Europe

I guess, it was too early and not enough coffee in my system :-). It has just came to my mind that you meant California. At the moment, I live practically on the other side of the globe, but I was taking once the Rd. 66 as a part of my university education process, so I at least know, where CA is.

Either way, one does not have to be a Californian to know few things about general sustainability of solar systems. 1) no matter how hard one tries, one cannot get more that 1.3 kW of energy from a square meter of a surface. 2) solar panels can convert about 25% of that energy to the  electricity 3) that output can be achieved only in summer and for few hours a day (let say 5). Rest of the day, it is either less or much less. 4) the electronic will last around 10 years max.

Now we can debate, how much electricity a Californian needs daily and what is the average size of the garden/roof to be covered by solar panels. The famous cheat of Tesla named "Solar Roof" by default does not qualify as a viable solution. According to www.cpuc.ca.gov, an average Californian household consumes about 8 MWh per year or 22kWh a day. That likely does not include EVs (assuming 2 cars per household and average driving habits about 40kWh per day). So we need approximately output of 60kWh per day to fulfill your dream.

How much space do we need for a private solar power station generating 60kWh a day? That is quite difficult question. Because I have to go, I will cover that later today.

New Message
Please login to post a reply