Free
Message: Modes of Lithium Extraction in Argentina: Mining Politics in Catamarca, Jujuy, and Salta

rkeeb posted an interesting comment earlier today unde the heading:

rkeeb: "You've probably noticed that SQM, ALB and LTHM are down big today. I'll quote from Daniel on TOB:

"Shares of Chilean companies are trading lower after the country's center-right ruling coalition failed to secure one third of seats in the body that will draft a new constitution, leaving left wing parties with more representation."

Perhaps LAC's challenges are not so bad"

It was that last sentence by rkeeb that spurred me to look, once again, for information about the local and indigenous challenge to LAC's mining operation that is still in development in Jujuy Province of northern Argentina.  I was able to find an article that was published this year about the 3 different approaches of the different mining companies operating in northern Argentina in relationship to how these individual mining companies approached the problem of interacting with the locals and revealing the attitudes and cooperation of the mining companies with the locals, or lack of cooperation, with the local population ajacent to their mines, both in the case of existing mines, mines in development ( such as LAC's Cauchari-Olaroz mine being built in Jujuy Province) and also in the case of mining projects aborted by the mining company.

The article is written so as to give the reader a compare and contrast story that incorporates 3 very different strategies:  

1) Non-Negotiated Extraction

2) Negotiated Extraction

3) Aborted Extraction

I made an attempt to extract portions of the document in order to provide a sampling of the more important information as that information relates directly to LAC, however I was unable to succeed in that attempt.  So, I am providing the link to the entire doucment for your convenience to peruse or ignore as you see fit.  I will also provide a link to the document in the "Link Library".

Even an attenuated attention to the article regarding how it portrays LAC's position towards locals in a comparison narrative will be beneficial to the reader, in my opinion.

(PDF) Modes of Lithium Extraction in Argentina: Mining Politics in Catamarca, Jujuy, and Salta (researchgate.net)

New Message
Please login to post a reply