Free
Message: Re: People of Red Mountain Statement of Opposition to Thacker Pass Mine

I think it is more than that, but certainly the "smell of money" can't be discounted.  The reported position of the tribe about having historical and cultural links to Thacker Pass is probably not fully appreciated by all other involved parties.  Ironically that very smell of money might be something that would work in favor of Nevada Lithium should the economic opportunities provided to tribal members by a successful achievement of construction and eventual production at Thacker Pass be obtained.  LAC originally obviously intended to provide an economic incentive to tribal members by training them for employment regarding future jobs at the Thacker Pass mine.  

For my own curiousity, I would really like to know how that plan worked out.  Did members of the tribe successfully complete training for jobs at Thacker Pass?  Are any members of the tribe scheduled to have employment for the construction phase at Thacker Pass and for both questions:  How many members of the tribe would be utilized for those jobs? 

The article rekeeb posted showed the negatives as perceived by at least some of the Fort McDermitt Paiute Tribe, so the big question is:  What are the "Positives" as perceived by members of the same tribe?  What is "in it" for them?  I don't think that their perception of good points vs bad points will entirely be balanced by the dollars under consideration.  Cultural and historical perspectives will also be of immense importance.  Money doesn't always solve everything, but providing good paying productive jobs to tribal members would obviously be a good place to start. 

So, LAC, what is the status of that jobs for locals program that was part of the PFS and early planning at Thacker Pass?

Anyone have any updates on this?

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply