Free
Message: News Release: Digging Further Delayed at the Thacker Pass Lithium Mine Site

“Attorneys for Lithium Nevada asked the court for extra time to respond to our lawsuit,” said Kelly Fuller, Energy and Mining Campaign Director for Western Watersheds Project. “So it’s only fair that disturbance to the land also be delayed. It’s critically important that the court has time to consider our motion before ground disturbance begins and wildlife and habitat are put at risk.”

This stipulation was requested by the four conservation and public accountability groups who filed for a preliminary injunction in the Federal District Court in Reno on May 27th, asking the court to prohibit ground disturbance associated with the Thacker Pass lithium mine until the merits of their case against the mine’s approval could be fully heard and considered by the court.

“We are committed to and doing everything in our power to prevent any damage from ground-disturbing activities by Lithium Nevada or the Bureau of Land Management, before our filed complaint has its day in court,” said John Hadder, Executive Director of Great Basin Resource Watch. “We are open to delaying the briefing of the preliminary injunction, so long as ground disturbance is also appropriately delayed.”

Surface disturbance, mechanized trench excavation, and removal of wildlife habitat and vegetation at the mine site could now begin as early as July 29th.

New Message
Please login to post a reply