Free

I haven't read a large number of the reports coming out of Texas, but I assume the link below is representative of these reports:

‘People Are Greedy’: The Absurd Electric Bills Slamming Texans (yahoo.com)

What a terrible tragedy!  

I hope it doesn't seem to callus on my part to draw attention to one of the repercussions of this horrible human tragedy, but I firmly believe that one of the consequences of this situation will be a huge increase in the market for home power generators, of all kinds.  They run on gasoline, propane and those powered by Solar as well.  Kerosene heaters are still out there on the market, although they have one huge safety defect in that they can definitely generate carbon monoxide problems.  Some areas of Texas, especially East Texas, have local wood supplies so that in those areas home heating via wood burning stoves will definitely be an expanded market, but I suspect that the larger part of Texas won't have much increase due to the scarcity of wood supplies.  Pellet stoves can be expensive to maintain.  Gasoline and propane generators have safety issues and supply issues as well.  Every winter in the Sierras here not far from where I live we hear stories of one or more propane fires and/or explosions.

At any rate, there will be a considerable increase in consumer demand for alternative ways to keep their homes heated and in alternative power generators.  I expect to see sales in these home "solutions" expand exponentially this Spring and Summer.

Another industry that will see positive rewards will be the home insulation industry.  People will be looking to expand the R factor in their walls and ceilings big time and insulate plumbing pipes.  

I fully intend to purchase some sort of generator myself.  Genrac is one company who should have a huge increase in sales, just as one example.  Expect to see a big increase in advertising of all sorts for that and similar companies.  

Never estimate the power of human psychology on the market and right now the human psych is in a panic mode looking for practical solutions to a deadly problem.

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply