HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free
Apr 24, 2008 11:40AM

Re: Natives Up In Arms!

posted on Apr 24, 2008 12:05PM

This is an article from the Sudbury Star posted 6 days ago. Just a positive look at aboriginal affairs and progress that is being made. I especially like the line that says:

"When you build a relationship that has a strong foundation, then the project will evolve the way it was intended to.

"There may still be grievances down the road, but because you have a relationship that's been built, it's easier to resolve those differences."

We have heard a lot about Neil Novak's good report with the first nations in the area and it seems like so far everyone is trying their best to work together.

First Nations embracing mining

Posted By Matthew Desrosiers

Posted 6 days ago
More and more, First Nation communities are getting involved in mining operations across Canada. Glen Nolan, chief of the Missanabie Cree First Nation, said for future projects to work, mining companies need to build relationships with aboriginal communities. "There are all sorts of very good working relationships that are already developed," Nolan said at the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum Sudbury branch general membership meeting Thursday. "What I'm trying to do is show that we're willing partners out here." Decisions made by the Supreme Court of Canada state it is the obligation of government to consult and communicate all of the different mining projects to affected First Nations, he said. The government has downloaded that responsibility to the industry. "It's another tool that they'll have to learn how to use for any future work in traditional territories of the aboriginal communities of Canada," Nolan said. While mining companies are required to consult with First Nations if their projects are on traditional lands, Nolan said consultation doesn't mean much in aboriginal communities. "What we advocate, what I advocate, is relationship building," he said. "When you build a relationship that has a strong foundation, then the project will evolve the way it was intended to. "There may still be grievances down the road, but because you have a relationship that's been built, it's easier to resolve those differences." The success of the DeBeers Victor project in the James Bay Lowlands of Northern Ontario, the province's first diamond mine, is due largely to the relationship between DeBeers and the Attawapiskat First Nation, he said. Nolan said the Attawapiskat First Nation went through different chiefs during discussions with DeBeers. The company's relationship with the community, and not just the original chief, is what allowed talks to continue."If you form a relationship with the community, it has more substance to it and has more chance of succeeding," he said. The project is working to benefit the Attawapiskat community, he said. People are being employed and trained, money is coming into the community, and there are new businesses being built around the agreement. Aboriginal communities are not as opposed to development as many companies believe, he said. "It's my opinion from the work that I've done across Canada and internationally, that the indigenous populations are not anti-development, for the most part," he said. "They're open for business, under their terms. "They don't want to be left out anymore, and they want to participate in the development of resources." For mining companies looking to do business on traditional lands, Nolan said the formula for success is simple. "Get in early. Consult often. Build that relationship and the project will look after itself."
New Message
Please login to post a reply