HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

Exploration History-McFaulds

posted on Sep 19, 2008 06:49AM

Exploration success in the McFauld’s Lake area has been, and I almost hate to admit it as a geo, been somewhat of a series of fortunate “accidents”, starting in 2001 when DeBeers intersected VMS (i.e. Cu/Zn mineralization) on what is now known as the McFaulds #1 deposit on UC/KWG/Spider claims while exploring for kimberlites. But lets digress at bit, and examine a bit of the history of exploration in the James Bay area for the moment. Outcrops are rare and hence exploration techniques used must be for the most part, by remote sensing, e.g. geophysical surveys. The initial exploration some 20+ years ago in the area was for diamonds. As a first stage, airborne mag and EM surveys were combined with ground sampling of glacial material for kimberlite indicator minerals (KIMs). From the airborne mag, identification of circular/bulls-eye/oval/oblong mag patterns/shapes (high to intermediate mag signatures-depends on the surrounding country rocks) either isolated or in clusters could be possibly attributed to the presence of diamondiferous kimberlite pipes or at least ultramafic/mafic bedrock. The presence of KIMs (e.g. pyrope garnet, Cr-diopside, ilmenite and chromite ) in glacial material would add further encouragement of the presence of kimberlites in an area. If the odd diamond showed up, all the better!! Knowing the directions of glacial transport, one could then prioritize “anomalies” for follow-up ground geophysical surveying and diamond drilling of “targets”. I do not know what DeBeers’ rationale was but my guess is that the McFauld’s #1 “anomaly” was a low priority anomaly, which was targeted on the basis of its magnetic signature/shape and perhaps a conductor, without the support of KIMs. Subsequently, a staking rush began in the McFaulds area and KWG/Spider/UC commenced further exploration for and discovery of other VMS deposits in the vicinity of McFaulds #1 and along the south rim of the ROF. Noront became one of the new players in the area.

In March 2006, KWG/Spider/FWR announced discovery of Cr/PGE mineralization in a DDH in an area which eventually turned out to be NE of NOT’s Eagle 1 deposit. I would think that the original target was VMS and probably only a weak conductor.

In August 2007, NOT hit Eagle 1 on claims optioned from Condor/Greenstone which had identified two anomalies, one a kimberlite target, the other a presumed VMS target. Surprise, Surprise……….mas... Ni/Cu/PGE mineralization for the first time in the area!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another staking rush begins!!!! The initial airborne surveys had been conducted using ATEM. Decisions were made to refly using VTEM which supposedly gave better depth penetration and was more sensitive to conductors. High priority Ni/Cu targets were now conductors associated with mag highs. VMS targets remained conductors with no particular mag signatures. Eagle 2 discovered SW of Eagle 1. Bonus………BB1. Then mineralization discovered at BB2 and AT12.

June 2008, Metalex/Arctic Star/WSR hit VMS on north rim of ROF.

So where are we, NOT, now? We have 3 different targets-Ni/Cu/PGE, Cu/Zn and Cr. Existing airborne surveys (EM and mag) as a first pass have been completed and some anomalies identified and prioritized. Limited ground follow-up and diamond drilling has been completed on some targets…..priority targets were Ni/Cu/PGE with lower priority for Cu/Zn. % of total NOT claim area tested on ground…very, very low!!!!!! More recently chromite is a target, a new high priority target. We know that ground gravity surveys have detected BB2. The question is, can an airborne gravity survey be sensitive enough to detect it as well. Remember, airborne surveys can be a quick, cost effective first pass exploration technique. If a test flight over BB2 proves ineffective, then the more time consuming traditional ground method will have to be used. After freeze-up may be the optimum time for the latter.

Do we have our hands full or what? As a geo, I am thinking in terms of years before all targets have been tested. However, enough tonnage and grade of any deposit type may be identified within a much shorter time frame to encourage the participation of one or more majors. Of the deposit types, I would venture a guess that it will be the acquisition of the chromite which will trigger the most interest in some from mainly a “strategic perspective”. At Voiseys Bay, it was critical for Inco to obtain the ownership of that world class deposit to maintain its leadership in the Ni marketplace.

Respectfully submitted

geoprof

New Message
Please login to post a reply