HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

The Sudury Star

Hopefuls ready for election

Pensions, health care and job creation in the North will be important issues in the next federal election, said Claude Gravelle, the Nickel Belt's NDP member of Parliament. Gravelle is preparing for a possible spring election by canvassing, which he has been doing for several months.

"I think probably this time we're going to have a spring election," he said Saturday. "We should know next week ... I'm very prepared. My office is already rented, we'll open the Val Caron office on Monday."

While knocking on doors, Gravelle has heard many similar complaints.

"When you're knocking on the door of a senior, it's pensions, health care and home care," he said.

Mines and resources are also a concern in the Nickel Belt.

"When you're knocking on the door of someone who works in the resources business, it's our resources, our mines, our minerals. Why aren't they being smelted here? (They're) speaking about the Ring of Fire. They want more good jobs for Northern Ontario," he said.

Joe Cormier, the Liberal Nickel Belt candidate, said the national deficit and education are two major concern for voters.

"The deficit is probably the biggest thing right now," Cormier said, adding that the community's also talking about improving education. "It's not just education after high school, it's also bringing back those students (to the community). Give them an incentive. What we're proposing, any student that goes to school and comes back to work in (his or her) community, can get up to $20,000 back in tuition fees."

Cormier has been preparing for a possible election, although he's not sure what will happen in the next week.

"It's not something we know for sure," he said. "We're shaking hands with as many people as we can. I just want to make sure they know I'm out there (in the Nickel Belt community)."

For Lianne Larose, a Sudbury resident and a government employee, government jobs arean important issue.

"The pay freeze put on us, that's my biggest concern," she said, adding she wants to see more "full-time jobs, for government jobs and jobs in general."

Miq Brunet, of Sudbury, is concerned about taxes.

"Even the States have limits as far as (taxes and hydro). They're not the best, but they're not the worst. Taxes on things like gas and hydro make it difficult for people to go to work," he said.

Infrastructure spending is also on Brunet's mind this year.

"Roads, sewer systems ... stuff like that ... we have a bigger city, but less people. We'll probably get less money," he said.

Brunet has trust in MPs.

"I don't really listen to what they say anymore. I just read their pitches."

The Sudbury resident was disappointed by Sudbury and Nickel Belt MPs, who voted against abolishing the long gun registry.

Pam Stacey, a Chelmsford resident, is against holding an election at all this spring.

"I don't think we should have an election right now because of the economy. I don't think there's a need for it. I'm happy with the way things are going," she said.

If Stacey does have to vote, she'd like a representative that would take the community's needs into consideration, rather than just following their party leader.

"I think when we vote them in, they should be for the people," she said. "The bitter fights going on between (candid at e s) is ridiculous. They should be asking the people what they want."

rpoliakov@thesudburystar.com

New Message
Please login to post a reply