HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

http://johnvanthof.com/2014/03/ontario-northland-transportation-commission/

John Vanthof questions Liberals about future ONTC plans

Posted on March 18th, 2014

Mr. John Vanthof: My question’s to the Minister of Northern Development and Mines. It’s been two years since the Liberal government announced the sell-off of the Ontario Northland, jeopardizing 1,000 families directly and many others indirectly, a decision made without consultation or any research and, we later found out, one that was going to cost the government over $800 million. Northerners united and forced the government to backtrack. Finally, finally, the government has allowed management and the employees to put together a plan and present it, a plan that could revitalize the ONTC. My question is very simple. Will you act on that plan?

Hon. Michael Gravelle: I very much appreciate the question. I know what an important issue this is for everyone in northeastern Ontario. Certainly, we are very, very proud of the fact that we are able to work with people in northeastern Ontario, setting up a ministerial advisory committee that’s been meeting for the last year as we look at a different approach to the ONTC, a transformational one that really is as much about restructuring alternative service delivery as others. We are very grateful to have had a report submitted by the management and unions together. That was presented to our ministerial advisory committee a couple weeks ago. We are looking at it very, very seriously. Again, I’m very grateful for the hard work that’s gone into that. This is an extremely important decision. We’re conscious of the uncertainty that’s been there. I made that clear at our last meeting, that indeed I appreciate all the good work that’s been done, and we’re looking forward to being able to make some decisions soon.

The Speaker (Hon. Dave Levac): Supplementary.

Mr. John Vanthof: The minister made a good point: it is causing uncertainty. It’s caused uncertainty in the north for two years, and now we’re worried, at this final juncture, that the government might try to sell off part of the ONTC at this late date just to save face. That would scuttle the plan that was put forward by northerners to revitalize the company. We need a commitment that the ministry, the minister and the Premier is truly going to commit to revitalize the ONTC and not try any fast moves to try to save face at this late juncture.

Hon. Michael Gravelle: Again, I appreciate the question. There certainly are no fast moves that are being made. This has been a really important discussion that we’ve had.

If I can be clear about one thing, the one thing that’s been very, very important to us is that any decisions related to the future of the ONTC really, truly are about finding a way to have a sustainable, long-term operation. That goes for all four divisions of the ONTC.

So we’ve taken a different approach. The member is aware of that. The ministerial advisory committee members made up of, certainly, municipal leaders, First Nation, Métis nation, business and industry have been really, really working hard together. The report that came to us, the combined management and union report, is one that we’re looking at very, very seriously.

But I can assure you that the bottom line really is that we’re going to make decisions that are based on a long-term, sustainable future for the ONTC and, may I say, a bright future for the ONTC.

- See more at: http://johnvanthof.com/2014/03/ontario-northland-transportation-commission/#sthash.slsA9wfr.dpuf

New Message
Please login to post a reply