HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

http://www.timminspress.com/2015/05/08/wynne-admits-connecting-link-funds-not-enough

Wynne admits Connecting Link funds not enough

By Len Gillis

Friday, May 8, 2015 10:06:39 EDT PM

Premier Kathleen Wynne at the FONOM conference in Sudbury this week.

Change text size for the story

Print

Report an error

TIMMINS - Timmins Mayor Steve Black said he is happy he and several city councillors took part in the 55th-annual FONOM conference held in Sudbury this week if only because they were able to get some direct answers on tough questions.

The conference was largest ever for the Federation of Northern Ontario Municipalities bringing in more than 300 participants from across the North along with Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and several cabinet members.

It was after the premier’s speech on Thursday that Black was able to able to buttonhole Wynne on her April 20th announcement of $15-million for a new Connecting Link program for road repairs.

“There was a question-and-answer segment and I asked her about the Connecting Link funding, given the history of it and the four years the funding has been missing, which means there is a $60-million deficit and looking at projects like we have in Timmins and the price tags on those, and how $15-million would be insufficient to really make any ground on that,” said Black.

The mayor said the premier acknowledged that it was indeed an issue and she further explained the government is dedicating roughly $16-billion on infrastructure over the next 10 years; something that the premier said she is willing to sit down with municipalities and discuss further.

Does this mean the mayor is encouraged in being able to find more money to do the much needed upgrades and repairs to the Connecting Link in Timmins, which involves Highway 101, Algonquin Boulevard and Riverside Drive?

“I am always encouraged by the discussion,” the mayor replied. “I am waiting to see if the dollars follow the discussion.”

Black was also front and centre in the discussion with Ontario Northland Transportation Commission president Corina Moore, who spoke about the future of that organization, which has seen significant changes since the Queen’s Park Liberals announced in March 2012, that ONTC assets were to be “divested”.

Timmins is on record as supporting Mushkegowuk Council which has a plan to extend rail services beyond Moosonee, across the James Bay lowlands, and on to the Ring Of Fire mining area. Black said he was blunt in asking Moore what plans Ontario Northland has for the Ring Of Fire.

“I would like to congratulate you on the work you are doing to transform the ONTC, we all know how important it is. My question for you will be; in this transformation and all the challenges you are facing, do you have any plans or any capital to have any access to the Ring of Fire at all, or is that something you’re not looking at, at this time because of the transformation and what’s going on?” Black asked.

Moore’s answer to Mayor Black was non-committal.

“You know obviously the Ring Of Fire is very important to Northern Ontario and I think the best thing that Ontario Northland could do at this point, I actually think it aligns with probably what the time frame for the Ring Of Fire is anyways, is for Ontario Northland to get our house in order,” said Moore.

She added that at some point, Ontario Northland might be in a position to support the mining project, but it will not be anytime soon.

“And if we can do the things that we say we can do and we can meet these goals, then we are going to be very well positioned to do whatever we can do for the Ring Of Fire. Obviously we have huge expertise internally and you know there may be a natural fit there. But the best thing right now we can do is focus on meeting these goals and being sustainable and strong so we can support that initiative,” Moore told the conference.

Timmins also took Premier Wynne to task for the Liberals’ proposal to sell off 60% of Hydro One, which her government announced three weeks ago. Timmins city council is already on the record as opposing that idea and has sent a resolution of protest to Queen’s Park.

“Madam premier, in the interest of looking at reliability and affordability for Hydro One energy users, why wouldn’t you consider holding onto the ownership of Hydro One and use the dividends that are available to pay down the debts ourselves?” Timmins Coun. Pat Bamford asked.

Bamford also suggested using Hydro One dividends to eventually (five or six years) reduce energy costs for Ontario residents and Ontario industries.

The premier responded, telling Bamford her government wants to take money from the Hydro One sale for much needed infrastructure investments. She added that the province will still have control over the corporation.

“So what we are doing is we are holding onto 40% of Hydro One. We are also maintaining control. So in terms of the setting of the prices, just to be clear, the Ontario Energy Board sets prices now. The Ontario Energy Board will set prices going forward. What I am absolutely committed to is that we have a better company in Hydro One,” said the premier.

She also told Bamford that she knows her government could suffer politically for the decision, but she still felt it was the best thing to do. The premier said no one group or person can own more than 10% of Hydro One, thus ensuring that the province will maintain control. Wynne told Bamford the time was right to go public with Hydro One.

“So we’ve taken huge precautions but what I know is that if we don’t make these investments in infrastructure, if we say let’s push them off for another five or 10 years, we miss the opportunity. And Ontario is at a critical juncture right now in terms of global competitiveness. So it is a long-winded way of saying we are making some tough decisions. I get that. And we’re going to take political heat for that. I understand that too,” said the premier.

“If I didn’t believe that it was fundamentally the most important thing we can do to make those long-term decisions and investments, then I wouldn’t do it. But I do believe it is,” she continued.

The full delegation from Timmins taking part in the FONOM conference included the mayor along with councillors Bamford, Joe Campbell, Mike Doody and Walter Wawrzaszek.

New Message
Please login to post a reply