HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free
Message: Liberal may resurrect Northern caucus, fight for standalone FedNor ministry
Today at 11:44

Liberal may resurrect Northern caucus, fight for standalone FedNor ministry

tbnewswatch.com file photograph
By tbnewswatch.com

THUNDER BAY – With seven seats in Northern Ontario, the newly-elected Liberal Party is resurrecting the Northern Caucus and FedNor will be its first target.

The Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario was created in 1987 and in 2008, the Conservative government folded the ministry in with the Industry Canada portfolio.

The Liberals have yet to decide whether FedNor should be reinstated as a stand-alone ministry but Kenora MP Bob Nault said the caucus will evaluate its efficiency and effectiveness.

“We’re going to have a discussion about FedNor, its strengths and weaknesses, what people’s feelings are about how it’s been operating for the last few years, where it has been taken as far as its budget. Those are examples of the caucus’ work,” Nault said.

“There’s going to be a huge infrastructure initiative announced by the Prime Minister in his next budget and we want to be well-placed to be in front and center with our needs.”

Nault credited the Northern Caucus for saving Northern Ontario’s regional development agency in the 1990s, when the Liberals last held a majority government.

Both Nault and new Thunder Bay-Superior North MP Patty Hajdu agree FedNor won’t be the only priority when the caucus holds its first meetings.

“I ran on a campaign of social housing, running water for First Nations and infrastructure,” Hajdu said.

“I clearly have equally pressing priorities and I think we all do from our different regions. The strength of Northern Caucus is to be sure the North isn’t forgotten at any discussion table -- that we have unified cohesion going in. It’s so much more than FedNor.”

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/376682/Liberal_may_resurrect_Northern_caucus,_fight_for_standalone_FedNor_ministry

New Message
Please login to post a reply