HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free
Message: Mines can create Indigenous middle class in Ring of Fire: Opinion

HOOV, I read the recent editorial you're referring to - and I agree. It didn't seem well written or nuanced. As a foreigner I excuse myself with the realization that it's hard to keep track of which parts of the Canadian media that are serious, and which that are not.

However my main source of information is an article from 5. June (link: https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/road-blocks-to-the-ring-of-fire-634888), which to me seem much more well researched with several quotes from a civil servant, Kaszycki, who as far as I understand serve as aid to the Northern Development and Mines deputy minister, and paticipate directly in the detailed discussions with the Matawa chiefs:

It prompted Premier Wynne to authorize the establishment of a jurisdictional table last fall, informally referred to as the ‘four-by-four group.’

It consists of four Matawa representatives and four government officials consisting of Northern Development and Mines deputy minister David de Launay, Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation deputy minister Deborah Richardson and their respective support staff of Kaszycki and Alison Pilla.

It’s the job of the jurisdictional table to determine governance issues for the road, ownership and control, as well as exploration permitting, land-use planning, and general land management issues.

Kaszycki said this table is not taking the place of the Rae-led regional framework discussions. “It is our expectation that both will move forward in parallel.” 

The source of the much debated fear of increased drug abuse and welfare cuts seems to be the below mentioned all-season road study:

A government-funded technical All-Season Community Road Study released to the province in 2016 revealed some reluctance in Webequie, Eabametoong, Neskantaga and Nibinamik for an east-west road.

Many of those consulted feared an increase in local drug and alcohol abuse, environmental concerns, and severe reductions in government funding and assistance, among other issues.

One table in the report revealed recipients in these communities receiving Ontario Works benefits could take a 35 per cent to 55 per cent reduction if they lose their remote status.

To me it's also interesting that (if true) the Wunne "weeks, not months" quote appears to be from a letter she sent to the Matawa chiefs, which was released (as in deliberately and officially) by her staf, ie. not leaked to the press. This hints to me that Wynne is on top of things, and ready to move forward.

Apart from that, I agree with you that Canada should have done much more to improve the standard of living and quality of life for the natives a long time ago - and I will add to that, that it to me seems strange that something should only be done to raise the standards in the Matawa communities. The scope for the Provincial gonvernment should in my opinion be to raise the standards in all the Ontarian FN communities. After all, it's a matter of luck and coincidence where minerals are found, so IMHO benefits shouldn't rub off to a higher extent to the Matawa communities than to other communities. That would be a respectfull way to approach the natives. And maybe that's to some extent what the Provincial government is doing, or at least planning. I hope that the eventual agreement with the Matawa is just the beginning which set the standards for a long line of subsequent agreements with other FN communities, as I am aware that it is a tremendous task to take on for Ontario in general economically, but in particular for the civil servants who will be the ones with the task to do all the work, and hence probaly something like a 25-year plan.

Regards DRA

New Message
Please login to post a reply