HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

The Chiefs of Matawa must be very happy to see that all of their communities are finally getting connected to broadband, and establishing their own unique websites.  This is important, because the communities of Matawa must stay connected with one another, and remain united in the face of an ever changing socioeconomic landscape. One by one, each community is being brought together with the Matawa collective; as intended.  Unfortunately,  in order to achieve this takes a long time, because not only do they have the slow bilateral government processes, and negotiations, to deal with between Matawa and Ontario, but also those in respect to each other, and their jurisdictional boundaries to boot.

Now...Your probably asking yourself, "Tin Man.  Where are you going with all of this?" .  Well, it just so happens that there is indication that Matawa could be ready to move forward, and that disputes among themselves are being identified, and RESOLVED.  Within their sociopolitical structure Matawa has formed what are called "Working Groups", and in these Working Groups, from what I gather, one representative speaks on behalf of his or her community to the rest of Matawa; see link below:

http://www.matawa.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/WEB-VERSION-2017-2018-Chiefs-Council-Report.pdf

It is hard to say how much has been resolved amongst the nine Matawa communities, and how much of that has translated to more progressive talks between Matawa, the province, and the federal government.  But this latest news about Mushkegowuk complaining about a "Lack of Consultation", specific about EAs, made me think that more is being resolved, and that Matawa is finally coming together on key issues, like the Ring of Fire; all-encompassing negotiations. Making me search further to uncover more.  But the truth is even the headway that is being made with matters within Matawa, they are still left with facing Mushkegowuk. Whose position as a fellow neighbouring First Nation downstream must also be respected.  But more than this, this neighbour of theirs believes that part of Matawa territory is within their traditional land (specifically, the Ring of Fire).  

So with Matawa having been silently resolving matters Mushkegowuk has been looking for an opening to voice objection once progress was actually being made....I believe we are at that point now.  

In fact.....

The latest development of the Ginoogaming website suggests within their newsletter that we are close to internal matters and negotiations within Matawa may be signed off; this year. Good news for all:

http://www.ginoogamingfn.ca/communications/

Quote from newsletter below:

Matawa Jurisdiction Initiative

December, the Chiefs and Premier Wynne established a jurisdiction table to address three key undertakings having direct impact on the Ring of Fire development and First Nations.  These three jurisdiction undertaking are as follows: a) access roads - ownership and control, b) permitting, and c) land management.Each First Nation is represented under the Matawa Jurisdiction Working Group having the responsibility of framing out First Nation jurisdiction under the three sectors.  A Statement of Commitments agreement on jurisdiction is near completion.  Once an agreement has been reached, each Matawa First Nation will need to ratify it prior to signing off.  

I also encourage all to look through both the newsletter and website.

So what this tells me is that although Matawa's negotiations may be coming to a close, those with Mushkegowuk have just begun.  But ....Really.....Good news if you think about it, because all of this conflict resolution is actually creating positive change...In other words "WORK IS GETTING DONE".

TM.

New Message
Please login to post a reply