Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Last part first: I don't think there is any reason to believe there are problems with the optical part.

As has been mentioned on this board several times, the delays in completing the work have been the result of OPEL's preoccupation with solar (As an end in itself, rather than a means to an end) and the government funding amputation during 2012. According to the company, R&D did not proceed during the time they had no money - they were starved.

Remember: The work at BAE is supposedly a validation of work already completed at UConn. If memory serves, the annealing issue you describe was a case where the design rules used at each site seemed to produce different results. I think the wafers were bowed due to the extreme heat. Exact timing had to be determined to keep the lasers intact. It's interesting to note that at the 2012 AGM Taylor himself said something like "nobody would dare subject common lasers to such a high temperature anneal". He also said that even experts in semi would have trouble finding the laser in his design. This is a testament to the uniqueness of his design. It also highlights the importance of continuous testing, because there is no precedent for this technology.

As Aves points out, POET likely changed course in how they were going to proceed through the milestones due to circumstances. I don't think this is as rare a belief as Aves makes it out to be, however. This only amounts to saying that Peter didn't wake up one morning on a whim and thought "Lets shake things up! MS6 - NOW!"

Also note that the company has actually put the reasons in print. The push on MS6 was at the request of the SSC to further the monetization goal. If Aves is suggesting that they changed course due to difficulties encountered that the company hasn't disclosed, then jrubinist and he might actually have a novel outlook. I don't accept this because there is no evidence. Such a thought only rises due to scepticism of the unhealthy kind. I actually think the company would have lots to explain if they announced they changed course for one reason only to reveal later on that they did it because the R&D wasn't going so great.

And on a side note, I think what some might be ignoring is that the reason the SP isn't going up prior to the MS announcement is because it's not going to go up after the announcement. MS don't seem to affect the SP remember?

What would be awesome - and fairchij and possibly others pointed this out in previous posts - would be if a deal really followed on the heels of the MS announcements, but nobody knew. If it caught the market totally flat footed! That would send a message that it is unwise to wait on the sideline, and that the company has the integrity to remain tight lipped.

New Message
Please login to post a reply