Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Oct 12, 2013 12:29PM
Oct 12, 2013 01:57PM
Oct 12, 2013 06:19PM

Oct 14, 2013 01:42PM

There's lots of goodness besides IR that we could be talking about.

The last substantive POET update NR referred to products already in the delivery pipeline. What could they be?

Well, if I could be allowed to speculate, I would say that it's the same IR sensor and OE interface that was mentioned in past CPs.

http://www.poet-technologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/OPEL-July-2012.pdf

Notice that MS5 doesn't seem to be an integral component in either of these products (see required milestones on slides 19&20 for confirmation). I think that may be one of the reasons why it had been pushed aside in favour of MS6. Also, MS6 is a prerequisite for the new MS8, hence the acceleration of MS6 and the following addition of MS8 - both at the behest of the SSC. I think the SSC is orchestrating interest in a third product, a commercial product (as per the wording of the 100nm NR) which suddenly took precedence over MS5.

Again, if I was to be allowed to speculate, I would say the holdup might be related to the fact that MS7 was the final required milestone in order to make the IR sensor a reality.

Oh, and there's this quote from the G&M article:

"Still, POET hasn’t had any takers even though the company has been around since 2000 and Dr. Taylor’s work has been funded in part by the U.S. Department of Defense. The company says defence manufacturer BAE Systems and others have validated the platform “and are developing solutions to be deployed into the market by early fall,” but proving that the technology can be replicated in large volumes is one of the obstacles that POET believes it will be asked to prove."

Early Fall? Like now?!

With all this information at our disposal it seems like a high probability that BAE will be the ones "deploying solutions" with POET inside, considering the only MS missing from their 19 year investment was likely completed a few weeks ago.

Question: is it likely that public companies negotiating deals would agree to a media blackout? I'm really asking, not just trying to be suggestive (I hate when people do that). I'm asking becasue it could explain why they are restricted from releasing MS5, even though it was done at the POET lab and that it apparently isn't needed for the IR sensor.

New Message
Please login to post a reply