Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Thanks for your resources, Eileen!

In my opinion the question remains what kind of existing industry we could compare POET Technologies to. It is neither a foundry like TSMC, GlobalFoundries or Intel, nor is it a chip designer like ARM, Qualcomm or again Intel.

An analog of today's silicon world would be a company holding all the basic, underlying silicon patents, and the TSMCs, ARMs and Intels would have to pay royalties to it. Well, there is no such company, which makes it very difficult to make an estimate for PTI!

My model does not incorporate any margins but rather the license fees companies have to pay to PTI for using the POET technology as a percentage of their turnover with POET-enabled products. Currently I am assuming 5%, but this number is more or less out of the blue. It is a guess and not even an educated one.

I'd really like to know what others (especially from the hardware/semiconductor business) think about this approach! Is it applicable? If not, what would be a better approach? If yes, what be could a more realistic royalty fraction?

Either way probably all boils down to PTI's (AM's?) negotiation skills to make good deals for us and to fathom what is possible and where the limitations are. And it is probably advisable to not start this kind of negotiations with Apple, Samsung etc.

New Message
Please login to post a reply