Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Aug 23, 2024 12:52PM
Aug 23, 2024 02:50PM
Aug 23, 2024 05:49PM

My understanding: Deposition and fabrication of the Optical Interposer for each specific design is performed at Silterra on equipment owned by POET. The parameters are controlled by POET staff to ring fence the technology. They use a bulk silicon wafer because there is no need for the extra dollars to  use Silicon on Insulator (SOI) wafers which requires deep etching to process waveguides at the bottom isolation layer. POETs multifunctional waveguides are created at the surface where the Optical Interpose layers have been produced to create multi level waveguides along with electrical conductors for high RF operation. These conductors also provide pathways to efficiently transfer heat as required.

It is very unique and flexible for a multitude of applications. There is a lot of magic going on but I think one of the biggies is the way they have created 3d mirrors for off-plane to on-plane coupling or on-plane to off-plane coupling. These mirrors are designed in such a way that makes them capable of very accurate beam shaping and steering for high efficiency coupling between devices. They can take a multimode laser and convert the beam size to fit into a single mode waveguide/fiber with the coupling efficiency that POET is known for by industry insiders. The question I have is what is the commercial value of these capabilities. Some are apparent but some are not and that detail is not being shared even in the patents. It really does represent a level of design flexibility that is totally unique to this platform. Freedom to mix and match devices as required for whatever application that industry is requesting.

And the thing is others are spending 100X over longer periods of time and still cannot match what POET has achieved..

Everyone is crying to see the revenue. Listen to David L's interview...it takes time to bring it but POET has the goods  

Aug 23, 2024 07:55PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply