TODAY'S DISCOVERY, TOMORROW'S FUTURE

Creating shareholder wealth by advancing gold projects through the exploration and mine development cycle.

Free
Message: Re: Glad we are located in Canada.(we are the privileged)
Mar 07, 2008 02:23AM

isn't it strange how people become comunists?

I found this article which might explain some developments in the Philippines

http://www.minesandcommunities.org/Action/press648.htm

Guns, Goons, Gold: Mining Revitalisation Turns into a Bloody War

Defend Patrimony! Alliance
(Movement against Globalization of Mining Industry, Plunder and Destruction)

Press Statement 9 June 2005

One of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's supposedly "brilliant" solutions to the country's worsening fiscal crisis, the revitalization and liberalization of the country's mining sector, is quickly developing into an issue of concern not only in terms of economics, but also of fundamental human rights.

Defend Patrimony, a broad alliance of organizations which aspires for national development and industrialization, is gravely concerned about the rapidly increasing number of mineral explorations and operations conducted in the country, mostly by large foreign corporations. These projects, which occupy vast areas of land, have evicted countless numbers of people, impinged on the people's rights to their property and means for livelihood, and have often struck the most marginalized and powerless of groups, the indigenous people. These have therefore been met with strong opposition from the primary stakeholders, who are often ignored, suppressed, forcibly evicted and harassed, and even murdered.

With the rapid influx of mining applications and issuance of permits for either exploration or actual operation comes the entry of elements of force and coercion. In several cases around the country, military and paramilitary elements are being used extensively in order to quell the people's resistance to mining activities.

In the case of the Subanon indigenous people of Mt. Canatuan in Siocon, Zamboanga del Norte, para-military group Special Civilian Armed Auxiliary (SCAA) has been used to harass and threaten the indigenous tribe. Food blockades have been established, depriving the people of their basic needs. Timuay Jose "Boy" Anoy, a Subanon leader, cannot live peacefully in his own home, having received death threats owing to his fierce opposition against mining in his community.

The picture is strikingly similar in many other areas in the country. Mining applications are swarming in Samar, despite its classification as a national park. This, furthermore, is accompanied by heavy militarization on the island. This is underlined by the deployment of Major General Jovito Palparan in Eastern Visayas, which has begun the terrible wave of activist killings and abductions. Palparan's declaration that demonstrations and rallies in the region are to be eradicated in six months under his draconian watch practically bans any form of dissent against administration-backed destructive and anti-people projects such as mining . Thus, the people are deprived of their right to protect their territory against activities which may prove detrimental to their welfare.

continued.....

I believe that shareholders can make a difference by choosing the company they invest in. I don't mind getting rich but not at any cost. Therefore I am glad to have Kodiak shares.

wishing you all a peaceful weekend.

gerdon

New Message
Please login to post a reply